Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK550, sports suspension, Black Opal on Black with P3 option
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that the Tiptronic (or whatever it is called by MB) tranny is sometimes a bit sluggish in responding to what I want. I guess that is why I always drove a manual. I don't necessarily want to stomp on the gas to downshift when a quick shift will get me into the rev range that I want. On an incline and rev's in the mid to low 20's, a flick to downshift will get me into a lower gear and accelerate without giving any more gas. I suppose that is the idea.

But every once in a while, I find myself flicking down and hitting a gear way too high because I flicked while giving some gas at the wrong time - not actually knowing what gear the tranny is in or ALREADY going into.

It just isn't the same as a manual. I wish there was an indication of what gear I was REALLY in.

For example, when entering a corner hard, I may want to downshift so that I can accelerate out of it, but sometimes I am already in a lower gear and down shifting will put me in the high end of the rev range. I know.. you can look at the tac and know when this is necessary, but when driving hard into a corner, I can't really look at the rather small guage. On a stick - you "KNOW" from your speed and the current gear where you are and where you want to be. A row of lights (1,2,3,4 etc) for the current gear would probably be enough for me to see how of the corner of my eye while manhandling the car at speed in a corner. This isn't an AMG ith a big tach in the center. Maybe I'll learn to better peak at the tiny tach in the right corner. Thank god I have a nice big clock instead.

I've always driven smaller sports cars like Alpha's etc that don't have monster engines and required thoughtful shifting to handle well so maybe this is just old habits shining through. If I had a supercharged 375HP engine it would pretty much not matter, but whats the fun in that? You can almost about burn rubber in any gear at any speed - LOL..

On the CLK320, I kind of have to manage the gearbox because it doesn't have a monster engine (OK, maybe a bit underpowered). Do other people find that?

So I am wondering how other people handle their Tiptronic tranny? How aggressively do you use it? Does aggressive stirring of the Tiptronic tax the tranny or is it really intended for this kind of use.

How aggressively do people handle their Tiptronic?

- dan -

·
Registered
2004 clk55
13 Posts
lol...on my old clk320 i noticed that quite a bit. you could shift but it would usually decide when it wanted to. very different from my wife's 325ci which does exactly what you want.

not that i really cared...i always thought its decision to shift was better than mine :)

·
Registered
R129 98 sl 500
40 Posts
um, just out of curiosity, what year is your clk? because ever since 1999 or 2000 my they have been putting a little digital display in the instrument panel that tells you what gear your car is in. its in various different places, on different cars, the 05 clk320 and 500s they are in the small center display right above the steering wheel where your odometer is displayed.
just take a look see at your instrument panel and mess arround with tip tronic you should notice a little number changing in correspondence to when you shift.
or god forbid rtm lol jk jk thats a pain

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
What year is your car? All of the Newer cars have the gear displayed in the MFD. Plus, ( and I'm only speaking of 2003 and up ) when you use tiptronic, it automatically finds the right gear for whatever RPM/Speed you are at. Again I don't know what your car is, or what is wrong with yor car, but in the normal world, I wouldn't exactly call the 320 engine "underpowered", or sluggish for that matter. Maybe you need a visit to the shop or something.

I likek tiptronic, but I've found that if you let tiptronic shift for you as you drive aggressively for a while, you can put it back in 'D" and it will continue to shift aggressive as long as you don't start driving like Grandma... The adaptive feature is awesome..

They have a software update for the 7 speeds that will be out very soon that will keep it in the more agressive mode if you want.

·
Registered
'05 CLK 320, '95 Honda Civic (let the tuning begin....)
70 Posts
I agree with dan212 when he writes "For example, when entering a corner hard, I may want to downshift so that I can accelerate out of it, but sometimes I am already in a lower gear and down shifting will put me in the high end of the rev range. I know.. you can look at the tac and know when this is necessary, but when driving hard into a corner, I can't really look at the rather small guage. On a stick - you "KNOW" from your speed and the current gear where you are and where you want to be. A row of lights (1,2,3,4 etc) for the current gear would probably be enough for me to see how of the corner of my eye while manhandling the car at speed in a corner. This isn't an AMG ith a big tach in the center. Maybe I'll learn to better peak at the tiny tach in the right corner. Thank god I have a nice big clock instead"

It's not a matter of the car not shifting, it a matter - as the driver - not knowing exactly "where the car is" in the transmission... this type of driving is more "feeling and perception" than hard numbers... as a driver - I like to know where the car is and what it will do. I dont want to think (well, i am going 30MPH, and the tach says 2000rpm, therefore I must be in 3rd gear"... no - I just wanna glance down and see the number (which only shows up as a "D").

Also - the tendancy for use of the triptronic would be "I wanna pass this car in front of me, let me gooose the gas and shift down -- oh, wait a minute - the car shifted down when I pushed the gas - but it waited too long to do so and I have alread downshifted with tiptronic - now I dropped 2 gears instead of the 1 gear I wanted...

The "feeling" style - IMHO - wants less "assistance" to be happy :)... just my 3 copper....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts