Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was leaving work and noticed 3 malfunction warning activated on my display of "ABS - Visit Workshop!'... BAS & ESP "Visit Workshop!". Much to my chagrin, I pulled over and turned off the engine. I waited approx 10 seconds and turned the ignition and engine on. I did not see the 3 malfunction warning again this evening. Again, after running a few errands, I haven't seen the warnings of the ABS, BAS & ESP; however, is this something that only activates once or is this something of a faulty eletrical issue and I shouldn't be too concerned. Or, do I need to visit my local dealership as instructed by the warning signal ASAP! I appreciate any feedback. Many thanks - AZE320.

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
I saw these warnings when I disconnected and re-connected my battery. They were gone after I "re-synched" them by turning the wheels all the way to the right and all the way to the left. You are probably, inadvertantly, turning your wheels to get rid of the warnings - or re-synch them.

Having said all of that, my guess is that you have some kind of electrical problems or a weak battery.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
I had that happen once. Service people told me that the most likely cause was a sticky brake switch off the brake pedal lever. They said that was fairly common and told me that if it happened again, to step on the brakes a few times and see if the light went off. And, if it did happen again, they'd replace the switch.

It didn't...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just took my car in for this. It's a faulty brake light switch p/n 001-545-64-09 and is a common problem.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon, 1999 E320 Sedan
68 Posts
BAS EPS ABS Malfunctions

I was successful (Haven't had the problem in about two weeks) in eliminating the problem by doing the following:

1. Start the car.
2. Step hard on the foot brake and hold it.
3. Step hard on the parking brake and hold it.
4. Release foot brake slowly.
5. Step hard on foot brake and release it slowly.
6. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
7. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
8. Release parking brake.
9. Turn off ignition.
10. Restart car and drive.

If the 3 malfunctions reoccur, repeat the above 10 steps two more times.
My malfunctions disappeared after two tries of the above.

Let me know if this works for you. I cannot be sure that my problem will not recur but it works for now.

Ctrivett

·
Registered
1 Posts
BAS, ESP, ABS Malfunction

I experienced a similiar problem with my 2002 E430. While driving the car the ESP, BAS and ABS lights came on. When I stopped the car and restarted the same malfunctions appeared after I pressed the brake pedal. In addition, I was unable to put the car in drive. I replaced the stop lamp switch which fixed the problem. The dealership charged me $35 for the part but it looks like you can purchase on-line for half that price. It took about 5 minutes to replace switch.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, MB400E, welcome to the forum. When you have a minute please take time to complete your profile re vehicle and location.
That's a fairly rare issue and luckily a cheap and easy fix. Glad you got it squared away.
Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts