Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who may want a tow bar- espescially if you need to push/pull another mog. I made this from 1/4 inch receiver tubing and two pintle eyes. The eyes are rated to 5 tons and you can get larger if you are pushing around a U 2450.

Moderator's pick TIP OF THE MONTH

Attachments

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
RE: making your own tow bar

Great craftsmanship and GREAT solution. Did the Pintel portion you used to weld into the reciever tube have a hole for a pin or something? I'm not a welder or an engineer so I dont know theoretical strengths but if there was a hole in this I would feel better if there was a pin/bolt thru it and the reciever tube then welded or bolted to stay in place.

Maybe make one or both pintel ends removable and have spare pintel ends and a regular trailer ball reciver ends available to use. Will give ya a little more flexibility in use and might make storage easier too.

Think I'll make this the TIP of the Month Winner.

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of putting a pin through it. Or for that matter making it with a switchable end to use both ball/ socket/ pintle combo. That might be my next try. The pintle eye is a blank weldable fitting with a wedge on the end. I cut a slot for the wedge in the end of the tubing to fit for a weld.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts