Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 420SEL, 1988 560SL, 1980 300TD
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had and loved my W126 420SEL for as long as I can remember, but despite the lovely fuel economy, the car is becoming more work than its worth, as I'm spending more time repairing than restoring. And to top it off, if I was restoring, I'd be restoring a car with a colour combo that I really hate, grey on grey.

I still love the car like a child, but part of me wants to try something new.

I've always found the W123s to be beautiful cars, and I've also always loved estate cars, and to me the W123 is one of the best looking estate cars ever made. Practical for putting dogs or camping gear in the back.

So I've been interesting in making the switch for awhile now, and thought you guys might try and convince me one way or the other.

I will be looking for a manual, which as I understand means finding a euro car here in the states, correct? The 300TD was only automatic in the states, and the TE also never came to the states correct? And something with the turbo, but I don't know any details on what cars, or countries had turbos or not. A 300TD Turbo with manual transmission does exist, correct?

My specifics, which are mostly irrelevant for this thread, is that I would want it in the green or blue below (how classy are those colours? I love blue, but damn that green!), with the tan interior, velour would be nice, but I wouldn't be too picky. Are there two different tan interiors as with the W126? I'm blanking on the names.

Only thing I am concerned about is performance, I'm not expecting a race car obviously, nor anything near my 420SEL, but will I be spending my days in the slow lane? Oh, and this would be my first diesel, though I did drive my friend's 300SDL, which I don't recall too much about.

And side note, I have some family down in LA with a manual 300TD that they bought in Germany, and owned in New York before bringing it to LA. Its light blue with a dark blue velour interior and manual windows if I recall correctly. The car has been sitting for awhile, but they don't seem too keen on getting rid of it. Also no where near good condition, some love and paint would fix that though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
AFAIK, North American 300 TDs all had an auto box. The turbo started in 1981.

I agree with your assessment, love that green!

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The W123 would be a good addition to your stable of the W107 and W126.

It'll ride like the SL and SEL due to the similarities in suspension design, but the amount of buffered road feel will be slightly less. Find the best example you can find. The non turbo diesels are just as peppy, but on the highway the turbo helps a lot.

The rear SLS will be wonderful especially when carrying heavy loads. Make yourself at home in this forum, you'll find tons of info on the estates. They'll be wonderful to photograph too :)

Alternatively, a 280TE would be a nice find also!

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts
280TE are great

280TE are great.

I have two manuals one 4 speed AMG one and one 5 speed.

Wagons rule

1 - 5 of 5 Posts