Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, let's start a speculative thread here. I wanna hear your suggestions on how one could strip off weight from the SLK, yet keep it looking the same.

Say, I were to weigh my car, and found that with my current set of options and a full tank of gas, my car weighed 1580kg's.

With this in mind, let's say I wanted to reduce weight down to 1550kg's. When I had reached 1550, I'd set a new level at 1500. When I had reached that, I'd then go for 1450. etc... etc...

So here goes, what could we possibly remove from the car to bring down weight (without actually emptying the 70 liter canister of petrol [;)] ).

I'll start off with the following (and guessing the weight of the bits and pieces):

1) CD Player in glove box (good for 5 kilos?)
2) Remove rim and tirefit kit in trunk as well as floor mats (20kilos?).
3) Empty glove compartment of junk, replace antenna with an SL one and empty the windshield liquid tank (maybe another 5kilos?).

So, I think I might have 1550kilos now. Who could guess how we could reduce it down to 1500 (without affecting the looks of the car too much... go wild, use your imagination, change the rims to alloys, the seats to Sparkos, hoods to carbon fibre, etc...)

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
To reduce weight, perhaps you should forget that extra 12volt power supply you have been trying to add to your car! [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Roberta - 4/12/2005 10:22 PM

I'm with you guys. The personal weight loss seems most beneficial. Better for flying, too.

Roberta[:)]
Ah yes but, you get down quicker[:0][:0] - once landed atTeesside (MME), and went backwards(in the Rallye) on the piano keys - 65 knot headwind, stalled it over the strip on finals, fluttered down, hit the keys and nearly reversed off the runway - evidently looked highly impressive, but lack of 'ground rush' was mad.

p.s. done on purpose!

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Following the modifications of the f1 safety car would involve removing the hardtop and heavy motors and welding on a space frame to support a carbon fiber fixed roof. But that would be no fun. So is removing the passenger seat.

Also adding lighter rims a la OZ superlegga will shed a few. Another culprit is the heavy steel hood which may have a carbon fiber aftermarket replacement soon.

Better off with a supercharger!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2009 slk55 amg/ performance pkg.
191 Posts
I think if you remove the spare tire will affect the balance of the car ( whieht distribution.)

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
That's it! I'm taking off the hood tomorrow! Who needs it... save some weight and provide better engine cooling. Just wouldn't be good for driving in the rain which I rarely do with this car anyway.

Anybody with me?

[;)]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Look under the hood. There is lots of weight to strip out of there. Engine cover, ductling, sound deading material, same for the trunk etc. But if were I were doing that it wouldn't be to an SLK.
Sounds like my mountain snowmobile-Anything not required for running,stopping and power is yarded out and all fixed items be drilled out.[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350, 6 MT
75 Posts
mazeeka - 4/11/2005 3:21 PM

I think if you remove the spare tire will affect the balance of the car ( whieht distribution.)
What if you have run-flat? does that make the car more head heavy?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just speculation my friends [;)]

I don't think I can shed any more weight, I'm not a very large person to begin with [:p]

But it's true that removing the run flat tire or whatever, can change weight distribution. They should have probably placed the battery in the trunk like they did with the NB (and NA?) Miata. That could help weight distribution a lot. But the SLK is quite front heavy... I wonder what could be stripped from the engine bay that the car really doesn't need [;)]

A new CF hood which weighs half as much would be a god send, but wasn't it already made of aluminium?

hmmmm...

Of course, placing a supercharger will help most, but that's expensive, and not always legal (depending on your country, the person who installs it, etc...).

It's not all that difficult to shed some weight from the back (removing the nav player, rim, carpeting) if one really wants to go extreme, but doing it on the front is where you could really gain something. 100kilos less on the front and DAYAMN!!! [:D]

Wish I could have a second 55 to mess with, I'd go crazy on it, removing ANYTHING that weighs even a gram [:D] heh, maybe make the car several hundred kilos lighter, now that would be something [:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Suppose the car could be made lighter without destroying balance. What would that do to performance? (Don't forget to consider the effect on traction of a lighter car.)

Let's guess:

weight 0-60
1500 Kg 5.0 (just for example)
1400 Kg 4.67
1300 Kg 4.33
0 Kg 0 to 60 in ZERO SECONDS! Whee!

I dunno ... is acceleration directly proportional to mass? I'd guess that's a close approximation until the wheels start to spin.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Look at a Caterham Seven (Lotus 7)- power to weight ratio is phenomenel - unfortunately it has the aerodynamics of a house brick - acceleration up to 70 is awesome, after that it huge drag coefficient takes over!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RonJeffries - 4/12/2005 6:30 AM
I dunno ... is acceleration directly proportional to mass? I'd guess that's a close approximation until the wheels start to spin.
Lots of discussion about this on miataforum.

Wheel spin won't necessarily occur when there's more power and less weight. The lighter the car, the easier it will be to push it from the start.

etc... etc...

But we do know that the Kleemann SC upgrade that brings up power to nearly 600hp with an LSD reports times of 3.6 for the 0-60 (3.7 for 0-100kmh).

So either add power, or remove weight. Whichever is easier (and I don't think it'll be very easy to remove weight...)

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Lightweight pulleys will shed about 25 Lbs as well.

·
Registered
spåhonsåÿo
208 Posts
I have already removed the spare tire, the air pump, all loose tools in the trunk. I have also removed the manual. I have not any junk left in the glove compartment or anywere else in the car to remove. Now I'm not shure what to do next, but I will probably find some small item to remove. I'm thinking of lightweight rims. The lightest rims on the net in 18" is Centerline RPM 7,5x18 at 7.5kg (16.6 pounds). I wonder what a standard rim weights. Perhaps 23-25 pounds?
[:)]/Bengt

·
Registered
SLK 55 2005
22 Posts
Yes, does anyone know the weight of the stock slk55 multispoke rims?

In terms of saving weight the CF hood is the best mod since it will remove the weight from the front of the car which is heavy in the slk55. plus the 350 already had a front weight bias to begin with. Topgear quoted that the slk350 was around 58/42.

Also another heavy piece is the Exhaust pipes. If you go with a titanium set of pipes you could save a lot. Does any one know the stock weight of the AMG slk55 pipes?

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Remove the seats and replace with proper light weight sports seats. You'd be suprised at how much a seat weighs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts