Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to put some canvas on my 2450. The bed is way bigger than a 1300, so I need to fabricate hoops and bows.

I can scrounge up enough hoops and bows locally to cut up and lengthen to the required size. That way I can retain the nice spring clamps that Mercedes puts on the ends.

Or I could just do something from scratch. Cost is probably similar either way.

Anyone built their own? Suggestions / photos welcome.

Attachments

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,267 Posts
how about you put a whole Ex BW U1300 with a tarped bed right in the back of that monster. GEEZ!!!

How many sideways mounted smart cars would that bed hold?

do want..

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how about you put a whole Ex BW U1300 with a tarped bed right in the back of that monster. GEEZ!!!
.:
Closest I can get is this photo of a U1300 tarp rattling around in the bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
First thought was a big covered wagon but that thing is the stagecoach...Does it have a name? A loose top going down the road and that thing would look like a 30 foot chinese dragon kite in a windstorm. Ok its a beautiful Unimog.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Steam bend and laminate some nice cherry or ash. It'll be much nicer if purpose made to fit your truck, instead of modified.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Just a thought here...If the stake pockets are the same as the Deuce...Then you could probably use a Deuce and 1/2's hoops/bows including a 2.5 ton tarp to boot or a 5ton. Try Idaho Motorpool!

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,450 Posts
I would concur on the ash suggestion, cherry may not hold up as well, but will look way posh. To make life easier (since steaming is a bit of an art and one needs to make facilities, albeit small ones), try making a jig to our prefered cover shape with plywood or whatever other materials are around then, plaining down ash to 3/16" or even 1/4" strips, laminate them to make up your bows? Use a polyurethane glue, such as Gorilla Glue for flexibility and long term quality. Find a marine out-fit who make sails, boat covers or boat transom canvas fabrications to make you a nice cover. I've talked to a few about getting a new cabrio top made for me, which is much more complicated. Most of the car top repair shops don't seem to be very creative, but you may get lucky trying that route for a cover too.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
cut the face shape out of 3-5 sheets of plywood in a staggard fashion so when you stack them together they overlap the seperations. Screw and glue them together and treat them.

Orrrr.... just have a metal shop bend you up some.

Like said previous.... try boat places to see if anyone is willing to do a quality- create their own pattern then cut it out and sew it up. Maybe an Awning place that does custom work... and still has someone on staff who does/did canvas awnings. Each awning is custom made so they may have more knowledge in making patterns. They may just do the pattern for you and boat place sew it?

There are also places that make covers for Big Rig trucks open top beds. I hear it is cheaper to buy material for a top from like places too.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's not that hard to bend wood if its done properly. Make a box long enough to put the pieces of wood to be bent in. Line the box with a Plastic liner. Install a rod the length of the box with holes in the upper section of it. PVC/Metal ect with a cap on the end. Intall your fitting and ballvalve in the opposite end of the cap. Install a thermometer in the top at the farthest end by the cap. Tap a big pressure cooker and put it on a Turkey stove or just use a big outdoor propane stove with a 10 gallon pot of water. Put a rubber sealer around the lid if you don't have a pressure cooker and drill it shut. Heat it up. When the pressure or heat is high enough put the wood in the bin with about a gallon of water in the bottom of the bin...shut the top. Open your ball valve and let it steam for a bit.

When ready probably 8-10hours....take them out 1 at a time and start bending in the jig which is also a steamed box with clamps built into the box to hold the wood and since it looks like you'll be putting an arc at each end you can have your curves bent on the inside edge made out of 2x6 wood with some clamps with the same bend on the opposite side. Depending on the arc/wood ect will determine how long it should take. A couple of days...Just go slow so you don't wreck your wood. I've done this before and it's not hard...Just takes time. I would reccomend a Iron Wood/Teak/English Oak ect. Just my .02cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts