Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,706 Posts
What did the guy say about putting the ecus back to normal? What did he attempt to do to fix the problem?

also perhaps before buying replacement ecus, you should see if a Benz independent shop with star can do some sort of re adaptation on them to see if that solves anything.

I believe I’ve seen such an option in star. Will try and check tomorrow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After the 2nd failed attempt at the ecu's that's when I asked him to put it back to stock and he didn't even answer my question. Sent a few emails stating the same thing and simply got no response. Didn't explain anything on what he tried to do differently except to use a different chip. Who knows honestly. Codes are p1420 and random cylinder misfire and it list's 8 cylinders that are misfiring.

Not really inclined to believe p1420 is something faulty on the car because the car drove absolutely fine before the tune, and after I got my ecu's back the first time the car would barely start, 2nd time it would start fine but the car would shake from misfiring and low power.

Can you elaborate on getting the ecu's adapted through star? I used to have a genuine star system but I sold it thinking I would never buy one of these cars again..big mistake

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's really weird with this tune because the car will feel like a dog then all of a sudden it will pickup like all cylinders are working then within a second or 2 it goes back to dogging out. It's indiscriminate, it happens at any rpm sometimes right off idle.

This is why I just think I need new ecu's unless a r129 guru hops in and can shed some light

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
code p1420 appears to be some sort of secondary air issue.

You're getting p1420 and additional misfire codes?

I just remember coming across something that sounded like an ecu reset or something in the ME right section of gasoline engine in STAR. I'll check tomorrow. SL600 as well.

You really should get a star setup again. Could allow you to fix stuff yourself and save you major money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I believe I've had it diagnosed before. It's the air pump switch over valve. I can't remember exactly where it is but it's either the little boxy black solenoid that is attached to the passenger side intake manifold or the check valve down closer to the air pump. I guess maybe if this was stuck open constantly allowing air into the exhaust maybe that would give a lean reading and cause the car to increase fuel.

I'll just have to take it to the dealer and find out because it's going to cost $1500~ for a star system or probably $500 to fix the p1420 code

·
Registered
1999 sl500 sl2
533 Posts
myb the guy does not want to reset the ecus back to factory because he is afraid that he wont get paid for his work. maybe its best to eat his cost for his ecu tune....have him reset back to factory settings....and chalk it up as a loss

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I believe I've had it diagnosed before. It's the air pump switch over valve. I can't remember exactly where it is but it's either the little boxy black solenoid that is attached to the passenger side intake manifold or the check valve down closer to the air pump. I guess maybe if this was stuck open constantly allowing air into the exhaust maybe that would give a lean reading and cause the car to increase fuel.

I'll just have to take it to the dealer and find out because it's going to cost $1500~ for a star system or probably $500 to fix the p1420 code
My star setup was like $300. You can find a setup for $400-500 with the laptop already setup. Then each time you fix something yourself you’re getting a return on your investment.

the switchover valve is on the driver’s side intake manifold. It’s a simple replacement should only run you $50 the cost of the part itself then maybe $10-20 for any needed vacuum hosing. I did this some months back. No need to give the dealer $500. That’s your star c3 money

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
myb the guy does not want to reset the ecus back to factory because he is afraid that he wont get paid for his work. maybe its best to eat his cost for his ecu tune....have him reset back to factory settings....and chalk it up as a loss
That’s a scam. Plus he’s shown himself to be untrustworthy so why would he send the ecus back AGAIN?

I would never pay someone to break my parts and fix their mess

·
Registered
1999 sl500 sl2
533 Posts
That’s a scam. Plus he’s shown himself to be untrustworthy so why would he send the ecus back AGAIN?

I would never pay someone to break my parts and fix their mess
you have to look at it from the service guys point of view....maybe the client was negligent in reinstalling the ecus....dropped them...spilled something on them....shorted them....if the goal now is to simply get them back in the car to original specs....and thisguy has the capacity to do so without charging him...then maybe the solutions is to make the most out of a bad situation rather than having to pay the dealer/another person to get the ecus back to the original settings

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ya it's a bummer with the car. My hunch is that little switchover solenoid isn't the reason the car is running bad. Maybe I'm wrong but I the main air pump shuts off like it's supposed to and the size of the vacuum line shouldn't cause the whole car to act like this. Both sides of the engine as well.

I can assure everyone that the ecu's where not installed incorrectly. The connections have different lengths so you couldn't mismatch them even if you tried. Battery has already been tested at 12.4 volts etc.

Taking the car to the dealer Wednesday. I didn't tell them anything about the ecu tune only that the car is misfiring and code p1420. We will see if they notice the ecu tune and tell me the ecu's are bad etc..

At this point it's mostly a guessing game but I would easily bet $500 stock ecu's would fix this misfiring problem

·
Registered
M113 SL500
814 Posts
Smh. This wouldn't be the first time I've read this story unfold. It usually doesn't end well for the buyer.

I'd wager a trip to the dealer will cost more than the $500 you state you can get stock ecus for, especially if you don't tell them about the ECU tune. A dealer trip would end up an even larger waste of money if the tune is in fact the problem. They'll probably chase that 1420 code before looking further or doing anything else, charge you a few hundred bucks for dealer parts cost plus labor, and you'd still have a car that's out of order. If it were me, I'd get a stock tune back in your car before you do anything and waste anymore money.

Hope what they wrote in the linked post above is true and they stand by their word, but they seem to already have given you the runaround. The "lost in shipping" excuse would allow them the easiest out in this situation wouldn't it? Hope they don't try to use the P1420 code against you too.

Would appreciate you following up with what OETuning says/does, for posterity's sake.

·
Premium Member
'99 SL55 AMG & '00 CLK55 AMG
547 Posts
That's disappointing, I was considering having my ECU tuned with them as I read a good review in another forum.

However, I'm starting to think that post was not a coincidence

·
Registered
1999 sl500 sl2
533 Posts
100 percent agree with brauhaus.....go into damage control mode.....try to have the original tuner take the ecus back to factory settings at no charge or find someone that can.....the dealer might take a one hour job and try to convince you that its seven+

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
100 percent agree with brauhaus.....go into damage control mode.....try to have the original tuner take the ecus back to factory settings at no charge or find someone that can.....the dealer might take a one hour job and try to convince you that its seven+
There is no chance I'm sending the ecu's back to have them put it back to factory. They barely responded to me when they had the ecu's. Waste of time to do anything further with them other than buy new ecu's

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well everyone..Worst case scenario has happened.. I decided to drop my oil pan just to rule everything out that I can do myself to save some money and sure enough there is bearing material in the oil pan, chunks in the oil pickup screen and glitter in the filter. So that would explain why the car is misfiring

😮‍💨 good start to a Monday right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
thats horrible...what do you think caused the failure....i always assumed that these v12 were about as dependable as you could get.
I have absolutely no idea. I remember when I first got the car I took it out for some spirited driving. Took it to red line and noticed after when it idled the oil pressure gage was at the 2 mark instead of always on the 3. Over time it went as low as between the 1 and 2 at idle. I took the oil pan off and inspected the filter and it was fine. So idk. Bad luck maybe?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts