Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 240D. Rebuilt engine 10k ago. Just changed the injector pump and injectors. Also did a valve job, and the transmission fluid is good. Ran fine one day and bad the next. Started with the car dieing when it gets put into gear. Sounded like there was not enough rpm's to keep it going. Then it started dieing when I stopped the car while in gear, ie. stop signs. Started playing with the idle adjuster but that did not help. It ended up getting worse. Now it won't get into gear without dieing no matter how much I rev it up. I know there is vacuum leaks in the car doors. Today I got the car to idle by holding the linkage up what I thought was a very high amount but it was at a low idle. I kept it at the same position for a while and without warning the car revved up a lot. To the amount I believe right for the position of the linkage. so I lowered the linkage and the car almost died, then I put the linkage back where it was and it went back to idling at its low idle for a while then revved up again. any suggestions?

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Ignition timing? Allso check filters, primer pump and that you dont suck air innto the system from faulty (rusted) fuel pipes or bad hoses..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

The injector pump was installed by a mechanic. So I don't even know what flange bolts are. Since it was working fine after the injector pump was installed does that rule out injector timing and/or the flange bolts? The primer pump is good and so is all filters. Possible timing chain adjustment? Doesn't the fact that the linkage didn't move when it went from a low idle to a hi, say that something is partially stuck and then gets unstuck? I don't know what could get stuck. Vacuum is defiantly not the problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts