Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'04 SL500, '07 G550 (wife), '09 S550 4-Matic (wife), '09 S600
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have a big problem here?
I have never owned a car which didn't require premium fuel. Today, when driving through a state which requires you to have someone to pump your gas for you (guess which one) an attendant who spoke no Engligh put "special" in instead of "super" (1/2 tank total).

The car sounds slightly louder than normal but is driving ok other than that. Any thoughts? Does the car need to go in?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, compuz. Just drive it gently and fill with the proper octane when you get it down to a quarter tank, then you should be fine.

Sounds to me like the "Special" sign should have been hung around the employee's neck as a proper warning. :D

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the Beaver State. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
You've got nothing to worry about. I drove my leased 07 E350 on 87 octane for 27K miles and never had an issue. The car's computer is smart enough to compensate for the drop in octane.

·
Registered
2005 SL500 Iridium Silver/Ash with wood trim upgrade...
87 Posts
I think I would just lose it all over the attendent's manager. It's just pure stupidity to place someone who cannot speak English in a position where they NEED to speak and understand the language in order to do their job properly.

BTW, it won't cause major problems as long as you don't make a habit of giving it the "cheap" stuff.

Rook

·
Registered
'04 SL500, '07 G550 (wife), '09 S550 4-Matic (wife), '09 S600
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
While I drive it kinda hard anyway, I will slow it down.
This is exactly why I avoid driving through the state in question... An attendant almost did the same thing in my Bentley Continental because he said "But gas is so expensive now! I was trying to save you money."

F-ing idiots...

·
Registered
7 Posts
compuz1, idiots at gas stations aren't the only reasons to avoid New Jersey. What kind of lobby do the stations have in that state to prevent owners from filling up themselves anyway? Must be that people in Jersey are too stupid to know how to do something the rest of the nation takes for granted? Maybe the officials should focused on the school system!

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
I do not know what octane your lower grade is, but over here, I have always used the lower rated fuel at our pumps - 95RON on every MB I have had (to include AMG 4.3, 5.5, new V6 and 119/113 V8s) and they drove/drive absolutely fine.
Our super RON is 98 which makes no difference at all to the modern engine - it is just there as a snob factor if the truth be known...

·
Premium Member
2002 SLK320 2004 SL500
121 Posts
In 2002 I read an article on MSN stating you do not need premium gas. So I put in the lowest grade. My 2002 SLK320 would accelerate like a Honda 4 cylinder. I thought I broke my car. I slowly put in 93 grade as soon as I burned off a 1/4 tank of gas. I noticed that the more 93 grade I put in my tank, the better my car accelerated. I will never put in the lowest grade in my Mercedes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts