Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi<br>Am interested in buying a C36. Can any owners comment on the maint. cost of these cars? I've heard things like head gasket replacement is recommended at 30K interval and cost $2000 parts and labor? Is this true?<br>thanks<br>norman

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: Hi<br>Am interested in buying a C36. Can any owners comment on the maint. cost of these cars? I've heard things like head gasket replacement is recommended at 30K interval and cost $2000 parts and labor? Is this true?<br>thanks<br>norman<p>I have 46K on my C36 and have not experienced any HG problems nor have I been advised of any such replacement by the dealer. I have in fact found maint. costs to be very minimal with the exception of the usual...$900 for tires, $800 for brakes in all 4 corners, $100 for alignments and a few hundred for services. There are really no weaknesses or major service costs as there is no timing belt. Some comon problems are warped rear brake rotors, fuel level sender and cold start stalling problems on some of the early cars. To date, I have had the following service items corrected under warranty: Antenna, heater blower motor, heater actuator, foglight wiring harnes, clear coat on rear wheels fogging and passenger seatbelt sensor for airbag system. None of these are out of line and so far this car has had less problems and a lower cost of consumable items than any of the other comperable cars that I own or have owned including a couple of Audi S cars, an E36 M3 and an E34 M5. <p>This is a great car with only a few faults that I can find(far less than on the others!): <p>1: The rear brakes are too small on the post '95 C36s(doesn't make a performance impact but you can warp them if you drive hard or on the track).<p>2: Slightly vague steering feel when compared with the best that I have driven(the M3 & F355) but FAR better than most others. <p>3: The ASR can't be 100% turned off without a $1000~ kit but this is a minor gripe as you can use the dash switch to turn off the most annoying aspect of it. <p>I love this car and would buy it again. The engine with all of its tuning has the raw feel with of the BMW M car motors but without the lack of refinement that I have experienced there. Also, when compared to the slightly more powerful C43 which is also a wonderful car, I prefer the C36 for it's racier feel. Now the C55 has the ultimate in terms of a racy edge as they do the same thing to that 4.3L that they did to the 2.8L in the C36 but alas we can't buy those in the US. Unless of course you want to lay out about $20K for the 5.5L crate motor which is VERY tempting but a poor return on investment when it comes to resale! <p>Also, if someone can confirm the headgasket issue, I would be very curios as to the failure modes, etc. but I have never heard of it.<p>Hope this helps!<p>Carl<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carl<br>It's nice to hear at least you haven't had any major maint. issues. I have an E320 and maint. has been very inexpensive. I know I can't expect the same with the C36, but want to be sure that it's not like a M-car to maintain which I've had before.<br>Norman<p>: : Hi<br>Am interested in buying a C36. Can any owners comment on the maint. cost of these cars? I've heard things like head gasket replacement is recommended at 30K interval and cost $2000 parts and labor? Is this true?<br>thanks<br>norman<p>I have 46K on my C36 and have not experienced any HG problems nor have I been advised of any such replacement by the dealer. I have in fact found maint. costs to be very minimal with the exception of the usual...$900 for tires, $800 for brakes in all 4 corners, $100 for alignments and a few hundred for services. There are really no weaknesses or major service costs as there is no timing belt. Some comon problems are warped rear brake rotors, fuel level sender and cold start stalling problems on some of the early cars. To date, I have had the following service items corrected under warranty: Antenna, heater blower motor, heater actuator, foglight wiring harnes, clear coat on rear wheels fogging and passenger seatbelt sensor for airbag system. None of these are out of line and so far this car has had less problems and a lower cost of consumable items than any of the other comperable cars that I own or have owned including a couple of Audi S cars, an E36 M3 and an E34 M5. <p>This is a great car with only a few faults that I can find(far less than on the others!): <p>1: The rear brakes are too small on the post '95 C36s(doesn't make a performance impact but you can warp them if you drive hard or on the track).<p>2: Slightly vague steering feel when compared with the best that I have driven(the M3 & F355) but FAR better than most others. <p>3: The ASR can't be 100% turned off without a $1000~ kit but this is a minor gripe as you can use the dash switch to turn off the most annoying aspect of it. <p>I love this car and would buy it again. The engine with all of its tuning has the raw feel with of the BMW M car motors but without the lack of refinement that I have experienced there. Also, when compared to the slightly more powerful C43 which is also a wonderful car, I prefer the C36 for it's racier feel. Now the C55 has the ultimate in terms of a racy edge as they do the same thing to that 4.3L that they did to the 2.8L in the C36 but alas we can't buy those in the US. Unless of course you want to lay out about $20K for the 5.5L crate motor which is VERY tempting but a poor return on investment when it comes to resale! <p>Also, if someone can confirm the headgasket issue, I would be very curios as to the failure modes, etc. but I have never heard of it.<p>Hope this helps!<p>Carl<br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: Carl<br>It's nice to hear at least you haven't had any major maint. issues. I have an E320 and maint. has been very inexpensive. I know I can't expect the same with the C36, but want to be sure that it's not like a M-car to maintain which I've had before.<br>Norman<p>: <p>Well, compared to my E36 M3 and E34 M5, this car is a day at the beach in terms of maint.!!!!!!!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: Hi<br>Am interested in buying a C36. Can any owners comment on the maint. cost of these cars? I've heard things like head gasket replacement is recommended at 30K interval and cost $2000 parts and labor? Is this true?<br>thanks<br>norman<br>I have a '97 C36 with 45,000Km.(27,000m.) on the clock. I purchased the car used a short while ago, and the HG was leaking oil to the outside of the engine at the time of purchase and the dealer replaced it under warranty. It is my understanding that HG problems on inline sixes are not that uncommon on both the E and C classes. Rarely does the repaired vehicle have a problem again. Before buying a C36 I would have the dealer check out the engine. The signs are oil leaking on the outside of the engine or oil in the coolant. I also purchased the extended warranty for good measure as it covers major components and it doesn't take many repairs to break even. Cheers, hope this helps, Jeff<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts