Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my oil, and I'm having trouble resetting the little wrench on the dashboard. The manual states to open door, press the first pin, then turn key to 1st or 2nd position, and then to press pin one again.

I tried this yet it still does not reset. I left it on for a while, and now it's showing negative. Does any one know how to reset this?

2001 ML 320

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
This link might help http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=119092 [;)]

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Sorry about giving you the wrong link in my previous post, try the following procedure -

How to reset FSS

turn ignition key to position 2

press reset button twice within 4 seconds

turn ignition back to pos 1

press and hold the reset button

turn ignition to pos 2

keep pressing the reset button until buzzer sounds and new miles display appears

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ML_FSS.html

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know but I must be a complete idiot as I can't get it to reset even if I follow the instructions in the link.

I get the buzzer at the last step, and that's it. It shows up again. -1600.....this is begining to piss me off....

Please HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
I tried several times until I read my manual. I finally managed to get mine reset. This is a two-handed operation:

With your right hand, turn to position #2 and immeadiately push the stick twice and the immeadiately turn the key back to position 0 (off). Within a couple seconds, hold down the stick and turn the key to position 1 and keep holding the stick down until you hear the beep or buzzer.

The whole process was done in under 10 seconds. I've since followed this procedure on my firend's ML500 - even the dealer couldn't get his reset, but I did! [:D]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Treeman and Azinn.

I finally got it to reset. The funny thing is that I could get it to reset using any of the protocols until the oil was topped up. When I changed to oil, I low balled it on purpose. The computer must have sensed that and did not let me change it. Once, I topped it up it worked.

I tried Treeman's notes and it worked. But I did notice that Azinn states to turn to position 1 instead of zero.
Does that make any difference?

Anyway...thanks a million guys!!

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
According to my manual, the first key and third key turns can be to position 1 or 2...position 0 (off) must be the 2nd key turn. I just hit position 2 because it was easy to hit when you're turning it fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[:(]I have a 2000 ML 320 - changed oil - I'm either dense or "ain't gettin it" I turned the key to the 2 position as per the manual. I pressed the button on the dashboard that toggles between odometer/speedometer/maintenance 2 x then turned the key back to the 1 or Off position. I waited 2 - 3 seconds then pressed the button again while turning the key back to the 1 position - AAAARGH.[xx(]

Help?[V]

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
With your right hand, turn to position #2 and immeadiately push the stick twice and the immeadiately turn the key back to position 0 (off). Within a couple seconds, hold down the stick and turn the key to position 1 and keep holding the stick down until you hear the beep or buzzer. It takes a little practice, but this should work. Takes me a couple tries or more everytime I do it. Also make sure your doors are closed.
[;)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts