Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed sometime a go that people from other countries are claiming that you can put passengers in the back seat of our 129.
My owner manual states the car is a two seater legally.
Does Mercedes supply different owner manuals.
Depending on the market sold?
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
2003 SL55
479 Posts
I know of other models (eg my old rx7) that were supplied to the USA as a 2 seater only but have rear seats in other countries.........these do have two different owners manual referring to this and also other optionals that are only country specific.............

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Well, this car is a 4-seater in some countries, a 2-seater in others (albeit one that will evidently decapitate you if you are in the back when the driver takes a steep turn). So there must be different manuals.

I remember reading back in the early 90s, when one of Princess Diana's public relations gaffes happened...she had bought a Mercedes instead of a Jaguar, and the tabloids wanted to know why. She had to explain that she could get back seats in the mercedes, and not the jaguar. So the differences have been around awhile.

I wonder what the warning is in the manual for the R129s that originally came with back seats, regarding the roll-bar issue?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my owners manual it also states that the seats can change position unexpectedly.
Crashing someones legs? :(
Regards, aam.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,536 Posts
In my owners manual it also states that the seats can change position unexpectedly.
Crashing someones legs? :(
Regards, aam.
The seats can change position unexpectedly :confused::confused::confused::confused: ?

How do you mean ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,942 Posts
I wonder what the warning is in the manual for the R129s that originally came with back seats, regarding the roll-bar issue?
May be they just manually raise the roll bar whenever the rear seats are occupied ?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seats can change position unexpectedly :confused::confused::confused::confused: ?

How do you mean ?

Cheers.
Ask and you will get my friend.
If the back of the seat is reclined. ( vertical )
And you go back with the bottom section ( horizontal ) will it not the vertical back change position by it self ones and it activates the sensor on the side?
I think that it also works in an accident, but not so sure.
In my owners manual says nobody seats there....................
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,536 Posts
Oh I didn't know a similar system was fitted on the R129. I was aware about the pyrotecnic blet pretensioner at least on the later cars (say 1999+) but what you describe looks similar to the Pre-Safe system fitted on 2004+ W220 S-Classes that when an imminent crash is sensed they move the seat the weheel and even the sunroof if fitted in the best possible position in case of a crash.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts