Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a GL350. I currently own a GL450. I'm curious as to what the major differences are in maintenance procedures/costs between the two. For instance, does the 350 require a different type of oil? How about the maintenance frequencies? What is "adblue" (sp?)? How do the 350 owners like/dislike the runflat tires? I personally don't like the idea of them. I've never owned a diesel before but I do like what reading about the MPG. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
AdBlue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diesel gets fuel filter changed every 20K miles.

Diesel requires motor oil that meets Mercedes specification 229.51 and for the most part that means Mobil 1 Formula M ESP. ("for the most part" refers to the brand--there is NO option of using oil that doesn't meet the specification ... ever, not even a quart between changes)

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Ideal conditions 29/21
Less than ideal (Speeding 27), lots of stop and go 16-17 city.

If you look at the DCO of the 350 Bluetec, its a no brainer over any other gasoline engine offering.

Compute the cost per mile (Fuel, servicing etc) and you will easily beat the gas engines by about 30%...even with diesel costing more per gallon ($.30 more).

Our ML and GL have been very low cost in terms of ownership. Not much to report. Oil change, soon a transmission fluid and filter/differential/transfer case service.

Tire rotations (every 5K) to maximize tire life. I have noticed that the larger tires need a bit more attention to pressure. On average I probably check them once every 2 weeks. I have also found that they need a bit more pressure than recomended to even out the wear accross the tread (+2 psi).

The runflats are a non-issue. I keep 2 cans of runflat. If I get a loss of pressure, I refill the tire with runflat and get it to a repair station. Frankly its WAY easier than changing a 50# tire assembly! Last time I check the price difference was $35-50 a tire...big deal.

AdBlue, again a COMPLETE non issue! The stuff is CHEAP and easy to get. If you can fill your windshield washer with solvent, consider yourself overqualified! Pour and go, just be clean about it. If it spills, wipe it off or rinse it off with some fresh water. The cost and consumption is so miniscule that Its simply not a consederation in terms of expense given the total cost of the vehicle. If you factor in $2.00 per 1000 miles of driving you'll have enough left over to by a coffee! Honestly you use more window solvent than AdBlue!

The Airmatic on the GL isn't my favorite option, I'm just waiting for an issue with that system, but it is what it is.

The engine is absolutely bullet proof! It easily pulls a full load (7 people) up the mountain to the ski slopes. The traction control I would assume works as advertised, but truth be told I haven't done anything with it to push the limits aside from iced roads and packed snow.

When you consider the fact that you can EASILY drive 600 miles between fill ups (with ample reserve) on a road trip, thats a lot of saved time when going from point A -> B.

It is a lot of vehicle, if you are doing a lot of driving the E-Class is my favorite for long haul spirited driving (can't beat the 800+ miles per tank in that thing!).

With these vehicles you will be wondering like the rest of us Diesel owners why it is people prefer to use twice as much fuel when going from Point a to b? Yeah a V8 will get you to 80 a few seconds faster, who cares that you just used 5 times as much fuel doing it, right?

Put the torque curves of the V6 gasser, V8 and Bluetec side by side rpm to rpm. What you will see is that the Bluetec has more HP on tap in all driving ranges than the V8 or V6 (from 1000-2500 rpm) which happens to be 95% of your typical operating range. If you want to rev the Bluetec they will pull very well thru about 4000 rpm. To get the same effect from a gasser you'd have to be revving north of 5500. The Bluetec is simply a brute in terms of power. Plenty of go off the line, linear torque band, smooth shifting in a way the GL was designed for this engine from the onset. The gassers were an after thought in respect to a big hauler and simply don't fit the persona of a large vehicle like this.

Don't send a gasser to do a diesels work, When was the last time you saw a locomotive with a gasoline engine? see my point?

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
AdBlue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diesel gets fuel filter changed every 20K miles.

Diesel requires motor oil that meets Mercedes specification 229.51 and for the most part that means Mobil 1 Formula M ESP. ("for the most part" refers to the brand--there is NO option of using oil that doesn't meet the specification ... ever, not even a quart between changes)
How much is the fuel filter change on the GL diesel?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got the '11 GL350!

I just pulled the trigger and bought a '11 GL350. I don't think I'll miss the GL450 too much, especially the MPG. Besides, it's the wife's ride anyway. Wow, the 350 Bluetec rocks! With the exception of a minute moment from a standstill, this thing is a rocket. It sure feels alot quicker than the actual test numbers. Now I see why the bluetec folks were all excited about this thing.
I got a great deal; Just under $2,000 below INVOICE plus the $3,000 USAA discount-13% off of MSRP. It had 55 miles on the odometer too. I'll post some pictures later. I'm exhausted from all the haggling; going to bed :)

If anybody is interested on a '09 GL450 w/15,800 miles on it, check out the classified section or PM me. It's in mint condition.

·
Registered
2004 E320 wagon sport, 2006 R500
81 Posts
How much is the fuel filter change on the GL diesel?
I paid $600 for the 20k mile service, which included the fuel filter change, oil change and cabin air filters. I thought that was very steep.
If you are a DIY'er the filter is around $50 and the clic-clamp tool required to properly undo and refasten the hose clamps around $30. The filter sits in the valley between the cylinder banks, in plain sight once you remove the engine cover.

·
Registered
GL 450 2008, E320 CDI 2005, E320 1994, 190E 2.6 5-speed(sold), 1995 E320(sold)
156 Posts
I just pulled the trigger and bought a '11 GL350. I don't think I'll miss the GL450 too much, especially the MPG. Besides, it's the wife's ride anyway. Wow, the 350 Bluetec rocks! With the exception of a minute moment from a standstill, this thing is a rocket. It sure feels alot quicker than the actual test numbers. Now I see why the bluetec folks were all excited about this thing.
I got a great deal; Just under $2,000 below INVOICE plus the $3,000 USAA discount-13% off of MSRP. It had 55 miles on the odometer too. I'll post some pictures later. I'm exhausted from all the haggling; going to bed :)

If anybody is interested on a '09 GL450 w/15,800 miles on it, check out the classified section or PM me. It's in mint condition.
I live in San Diego and is interested in getting a GL350 (currently I have a 2008 GL450) as my lease will end in Aug 2011.
It seems you got a very good deal. PM send.
Thanks, Congrates on you new car.

·
Registered
2008 S63 with 22's - 03 S500 with 20's- 07 R Class with 22's - 2011 GL 350 BT with 22's
48 Posts
GL 350 Noticeable Surge at low RPM

Hi guys have owned about every series of MB made and just added a GL 350 to the family. I noticed at really low RPM a few times now driving in parking lots that the car has a slight surge or pulsation to it. It's very subtle but having felt it now a few times just curious if any other GL owners have noticed anything similar. It only has 600 miles on it now so I will ask my local Service Director and Mechanic if they have seen or heard of anything but curious from other owners.

Thanks for any input. I agree with the things already said here about this great car and how it sure has tons of torque and rides great.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
What do you mean by 'low' rpm? Mine hangs very steady at about 900 rpm or a little higher (but steady) when warm and idling through a parking lot, etc. I've never felt any 'surge' or pause.

·
Registered
2008 S63 with 22's - 03 S500 with 20's- 07 R Class with 22's - 2011 GL 350 BT with 22's
48 Posts
Will confirm the exact RPM but it's repeatable with just the right amount of throttle from a dead or really slow start. I am wondering if its in fact the Turbo lag.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
You shouldn't get any turbo boost at all at low rpm. If you were to punch it hard from idle it WILL take a bit to build the pressure up - that is what turbo lag is. If you ease into it to slowly increase from idle to, say 1200 rpm in a parking lot there should be NO noticeable delay in the response.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
So the surge/stutter is between 1500 and 1700 RPM when accelerating at a not aggressive rate.

Thanks for info!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I paid $600 for the 20k mile service, which included the fuel filter change, oil change and cabin air filters. I thought that was very steep.
If you are a DIY'er the filter is around $50 and the clic-clamp tool required to properly undo and refasten the hose clamps around $30. The filter sits in the valley between the cylinder banks, in plain sight once you remove the engine cover.
Where can you order this stuff online?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts