Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, not sure how many of you guys maintain the car your self, rather than go to your local Mercedes dealer or garage. I’ve always worked on my own cars before and dreaded the day of getting a modern car like a C200k, but it would seem you can still do a few items your self.

Has anyone looked into the costs?

Previously I ran a VW, and it was sometimes the case that it was better to buy genuine parts, ie not much more cash needed, but better quality and longevity, thus value. Is this the case with Merc, no idea what their part prices are like?

And if anyone can add their 2 pennies worth about the physical possibility of doing some jobs your self or NOT, please add to discussion.

Now the A and B services seem to have additional optional items like rad fluid for £100 and so on. Surely stuff you can do your self. Keeping the car MOT worthy too and also mechanically sound, I looked some items up in GSF (German Sweedish and French car parts):

C200k Coupe to give a bench mark. (Larger engine types typically more expensive)::

Discs = £34.50/each front, = £69.00/pair
Pads = £34.50/set fronts (£26 rears) ...... or EBC £42 front set
Wiper Blades (to be confirmed, catalogue saying £9.25/each)
Oil filter (M271) = £5.95 … typically an item I’d go for OEM
Air Fileter = £15.00 again might go OEM pending Merc costs.

ps - anyone know if much changed on the facelift 2004 model C200k Coupe? ... interior looks different, but did things like brakes change?
Would this pad be for 04 backwards, or upto now even?

·
Registered
451 Posts
:) Let's keep this one alive - I've had my c200k for last 6 months - it's a CPO car, so to a certain extent I think I'm bound to the dealer to get some service, but I'm interested to see just how badly it's going to hurt.

So far I've only had one minor problem with the climate control that was intermittent, but seems to have been fixed in the last service. Not sure where you are, but MB Bromley has been outstanding on service, providing a loaner, and in general keeping me happy.. They also had no problem with my replacing the CD changer with an iPod kit, other than to ask me to give 'em the details as they were not aware you could manage it on a pre-facelifted (eg D2B) car.

Not my first foray into MB ownership, but our previous MB's had the steering wheel on the wrong side for us to move 'em over. I had more flexibility (and more working room) in France, and changed oil, air, and pads myself, using MB parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Let's keep this one alive - I've had my c200k for last 6 months - it's a CPO car, so to a certain extent I think I'm bound to the dealer to get some service, but I'm interested to see just how badly it's going to hurt.
Yeh, I hope it does kick off and get some good responses.

CPO, whats this, Company Pool O car?
Personally I am out of the 3 years warranty and see no reason not to get any works done else where unless current owners can say different. I only intend to get the car serviced at the stealers to maintain market value for resale.

Did you say you worked on previous Merc cars? Parts from Merc were well priced and lasted well?

Anyone else to feedback on non-merc parts appreciated.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Certified Pre Owned - means I paid about 1k more than I could have, but got two years full MB warranty on the beast, plus the dealer treats it as if you'd purchased a new car from them - and so far, so good. Wanted to have a "no hassle" deal, as my spare time has dwindled to nothing since moving.

As far as parts go, I used MB oil and air filters consistently - seemed good value for money, or at least they lasted the advertised interval. Brake pads were aftermarket, not sure of the brand - again, they lasted longer than I expected, but were about 50% cheaper than the MB parts. Rotors I had machined once, but never had to replace.

Parts in the UK seem to be much more expensive than the euro to pound exchange rate, not sure why that's the case, but I've not spent a lot of time looking to be honest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UK only

sorry, topic didnt kick off.

I've not had to do anything to the car, other than replace a couple tyres.

This summer I plan to see if I can do a few of the Optional items found on the A or B services, like coolant fluid.

Any tips?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, to update for any UK peeps.

I got the Service B, at 44k miles, done locally at my garage, rather than at Mer stealers. From this, I'd probably go and do the work next time, but that not for a long while yet. As you can easily obtain a checklist of whats to be done, and double check your found list with your manual as a final resort. Guys on here are saying items like supercharger belts etc are lasting well.

So, onto the service. Rather than starting at £300 with Merc, adding £100 for coolant, I ended up paying £300 all in, inclusive of my Mobil 1, brake fluid changed and coolant, filters, plugs etc.

Having done 44k, I've found the rear pads to have worn. I would seriously recommend checking yours*. Mine had odd wear, due to poor maintenance. The pads from GSF were cheap - cannot remember the name - but work fine.

The front discs want doing. The pads have about 3mm or so on them. The Brembo discs off GSF cost me £55+vat. The front Pads Im buying off Merc, as they are only £54 inclusive of the wear sensors (which you dont get with the £120 brembo pads).

* I might do a new thread on this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts