Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a year 2000 cl 600 5.7 V12 and it's temperature is running at about 85 deg during normal driving, when stationary the temp jumps to 120 deg within 2-3 mins but I have noticed when looking under bonnet that the main radiator fan isn't working, I've replaced the sensor on top of the thermostat housing but that was just for temp gauge, does any one know where the sensor is that controls the main rad fan, or any ideas how to get it working again, the fan isn't seized and turns freely, any help is much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
I had this problem with my2003 600TT. The electrical control unit was fried. Yours uses a different system and your fan is driven by a belt rom a small electric motor. Check first that this belt is not broken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't see any belt, all I can see is 2 really thick wires going to right hand side of radiator one red one brown and two thinner wires

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
Can't see any belt, all I can see is 2 really thick wires going to right hand side of radiator one red one brown and two thinner wires
Have you fixed this?
If yours uses the same system as mine, no belt with a brushless motor that uses a 850 watts and is protected by a 150 amp fuse!!! - the electrics have fried themselves and you will have to replace the whole shroud fan and electrics as you cannot buy the seperately.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Where abouts is the 150 amp fuse?? The biggest fuse I found in the two fuse boxes is 50 amp
Spoke to the electrical wizard that tried to repair this for me and all he could say was that it was shown on the wiring diagram for this model (CL 600 Twin turbo) and was with a lot of other fuses. Sorry I can't be more helpful - but pretty sure your fan system is different to this anyway.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Where abouts is the 150 amp fuse?? The biggest fuse I found in the two fuse boxes is 50 amp
cb. There is a post in the stickies that details the fuse layout for W215 & W220. This shows a terminal block X4/10 with high current fuses, one of which is fuse f3 (150A) that protects the Electric suction fan (engine & a/c with integrated control). A big fuse, but the fan uses almost 2Kw.

The electric fan is serving two systems: engine coolant and the a/c system.

So the refrigerant temperature sensor in the a/c system, and the coolant temperature sensor are routed to the ECU which drives the fan, via the control unit.

If the fan refuses to work, it is probably the integrated control unit on the fan. I'm not sure if this can be obtained separately from the fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there's a relay for the fan under the drivers side fuse box. and also a relay on the passenger side headlight that controls the the cooling fan. Trust me on this if your not a MB mechanic u wont know this. I had to go through $$$$ to get my fan fix

·
Registered
02 CL55 AMG Clone
568 Posts
there's a relay for the fan under the drivers side fuse box. and also a relay on the passenger side headlight that controls the the cooling fan. Trust me on this if your not a MB mechanic u wont know this. I had to go through $$$$ to get my fan fix
looks like i did the same thing you did and ordered a new fan and figured out that the fan wasn't the issue

i am going to try to locate these fuses you're talking about, i can't seem to find them anywhere on any of the wiring diagrams but i see theres a wire running from the fan plug up the side of the engine bay and then goes underneath the driver side fuse panel...so i guess i will check that out when i get some daylight tomorrow

any more details about this relay thats on the passenger side headlight? im not entirely sure where exactly you're talking about and i definitely don't see it on any wiring diagrams for the car.... thanks for the help in advance this is driving me crazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts