Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first thing I've had a problem with in 6 months of owning the car. Tonight driving along I notice the speedo cluster display says I have a message. So I flick through the menu and it says main display malfunction visit workshop. Flicking through the command and all the cluster displays everything seems fine! Any one had this? It stayed on 10 mins as I drove home. but then i turned the car off then back on when I get home and the message is gone. I hate going to the dealers so i'm not going if nothing else appears

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
easty, have you had to do any work up under the dash (like wiring up radar detector, or audio, or something)? I mean the part by your feet/knees.

If so you might have knocked a connector lose. Just a guess.

I found out, by accident, that there is a box with two connectors, it is clipped into the trim piece under the dash, right next to the OBD connector. I unhooked that box (and the OBD connector and the floor light) to take off that panel while working under the dash to wire my detector. I did a test of power, before buttoning everything up, and had not reconnected that box. I got a MFD error that was the same as yours: Main Display Malfunction, until I reconnected the box.

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
bloflin said:
easty, have you had to do any work up under the dash (like wiring up radar detector, or audio, or something)? I mean the part by your feet/knees.

I found out, by accident, that there is a box with two connectors, it is clipped into the trim piece under the dash, right next to the OBD connector. I unhooked that box (and the OBD connector and the floor light) to take off that panel while working under the dash to wire my detector. I did a test of power, before buttoning everything up, and had not reconnected that box. I got a MFD error that was the same as yours: Main Display Malfunction, until I reconnected the box.
How did you get the OBD connector off? I released the 2 screws but still could not get it removed from the under-dash-panel. Or were you able to find a way to release the wire connections to it?

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
111 Posts
bloflin said:

Bloflin do you mean the central gateway i have WIS printouts but they are vague as to what side of the car its located at what with different trims and everything and i don't want to go pulling at the dash without knowing where it is located at

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"have you had to do any work up under the dash (like wiring up radar detector, or audio, or something)? I mean the part by your feet/knees"

Nope, Just the vario roof mod..

·
Registered
SLK 55
44 Posts
My stock SLK 55 has been having "display malfunctions" and SRS warnings for several months now. I've been to the dealer twice in that time, and both times the problem resurfaced shortly after getting my car back. The dealer replaced several modules on each visit, but this isn't solving the problem...

I'm going to take the car back again soon, but it is getting very tiresome. I'll let you know if they ever find the root of the problem.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
SLK280DS said:
How did you get the OBD connector off? I released the 2 screws but still could not get it removed from the under-dash-panel. Or were you able to find a way to release the wire connections to it?
No screws. On the topside (the side you can't get to, until you drop the panel, at the edge of the connector nearest you, there is a part that slides. It does NOT slide all the way out, just moves about 0.25 inches. This releases the OBD connector.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
DansSlk said:
Bloflin do you mean the central gateway i have WIS printouts but they are vague as to what side of the car its located at what with different trims and everything and i don't want to go pulling at the dash without knowing where it is located at

Cheers
Dan
Sorry, don't know exactly what it was. It is a square plastic box, somewhat bigger in each dimension than a deck of cards. It has two connectors plugged into it. A smaller one with a couple or wires and one about twice that size.

The label on it did have a funny name (sorry don't remember, but seems like it started with a Z).

It only takes 3 screws to drop that panel. Not very hard, I've done in a number of times, during my protracted install (I would work for an hour or so, after work, then button it back up for the commute the next day).

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Easty said:
"have you had to do any work up under the dash (like wiring up radar detector, or audio, or something)? I mean the part by your feet/knees"

Nope, Just the vario roof mod..
But did you happen to drop that panel (3 screws) during the Vario install? (you didn't need to, but you might have). I'm just guessing, as I happened to get the same message you described, when I forgot to plug that box back in.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bloflin said:
But did you happen to drop that panel (3 screws) during the Vario install? (you didn't need to, but you might have). I'm just guessing, as I happened to get the same message you described, when I forgot to plug that box back in.
No mate, the only screw I took out was the one that retained the plastic cover in on the left wall of the foortwell over the bonnet release catch.. I've not had the message since.

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
111 Posts
bloflin said:
Sorry, don't know exactly what it was. It is a square plastic box, somewhat bigger in each dimension than a deck of cards. It has two connectors plugged into it. A smaller one with a couple or wires and one about twice that size.

The label on it did have a funny name (sorry don't remember, but seems like it started with a Z).

It only takes 3 screws to drop that panel. Not very hard, I've done in a number of times, during my protracted install (I would work for an hour or so, after work, then button it back up for the commute the next day).
That sure sounds like the gateway thanks very much i will have a peek at it later on

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
152 Posts
Easty, I might be the bearer of bad news but I had this problem as well after fitting the vario roof module ending up with a flat battery at the weekend. I got various warning messages pop in prior to this although they were usually always at the same time and were
vario roof module..visit workshop.
display malfunction..visit workshop
For now I have removed the module as my car is due a service Friday. Car has been fine since removing it.
Do you use the remote open/close much with the car NOT running. As I think the extra current draw on the battery may be a possible cause?

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I use it all the time while the car is not running. Not had a problem since to be honest though. I have a service myslef soon so see how it goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts