Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained both rear differential and transmission fluid on my 190D.

I found that while the differential drain plug has a magnet end to catch small broken pieces of steel from the differential, there is no such in the transmission drain plug. Anyone know where I can get such magnetized plug? I tried to magnetize the drain plug myself. But it was too weak to catch anything.

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
When the correct drain plug is not available, I have used a stong magnet that I simply attach to the outside of the pan. This seems to work well and attract bits of steal to the bottom of the pan at the location of the magnet. While a flat magnet works best - stays in place well -I have used those round and long (two to three inches) cow magnets. They are fairly powerful and hold onto to steel pan well. For those who may not know, these magnets are intentionally given by mouth to feeder cattle and milk cows, where they serve to pick up bits of bailing wire and other farm metal that happens to make it inside the cow's four chambered stomach. These megnets never seem to rust - must be stainless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts