Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,169 Posts
Magnetic oil drain plugs are always a good idea-anywhere on the car that you can put them. However, this one has a pretty puny looking magnetic stick. Better sticks are almost the diameter of the pug itself-plus it's more surface area to hold the particles. You wouldn't know how strong this one was unless you bought it first.:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
1987 300E (sold) , W203 C320 2001 (09/2013), W210 E320 1999 wagon 4matic (10/2013)
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really tempted to try it

Thanks Kevin for the input

I'm really tempted to try it for 15$, to see if it works the time of one oil change

Hey Kevin do you put oil for diesel motor in your car ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Thanks Kevin for the input

I'm really tempted to try it for 15$, to see if it works the time of one oil change

Hey Kevin do you put oil for diesel motor in your car ?

Thanks
It will work fine-just like to see a bigger magnet in there. I had a site bookmarked just about magnetic drain plugs of all sizes and descriptions once...long gone on another PC.:(

I've read about all the theories in using diesel rated oil in gas 124 engines. I don't see anything wrong with it, but if your engine won't leak it out, I prefer a good synthetic like Amsoil. Amsoil always comes out on top in independent oil testing on modern gas engines.....beats Mobil 1 in most categories. And you can now find it even in NAPA. Expensive stuff though....:eek: With my mileage, I don't like fooling with dino oil and since I only change once a yr, I use Amsoil.

Before I got my car back from the ex, she had been using Castrol GTX 20-50wt (upon my recommendation)...high mileage etc. Now....I can't vouch for how often she actually changed the oil, but I told her around every 3,500 miles. When I took the valve cover off and pulled the head to redo, the amount of varnish and dark oil stained components was really disheartening. I would never recommend Castrol to anyone after that.

Kevin

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
I'm less than enthusiastic over magnetic drain plugs. I don't think they're worth the money. Most of the particulates are captured by the oil filter.

Magnetic drain plugs are more useful for the fleet operator who needs advance warning that one of his engines is developing serious problems.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
I'm less than enthusiastic over magnetic drain plugs. I don't think they're worth the money. Most of the particulates are captured by the oil filter.

Magnetic drain plugs are more useful for the fleet operator who needs advance warning that one of his engines is developing serious problems.
I disagree...the really strong ones are usually covered with particulates. You should cut an oil filter in half sometimes and compare the amount of particulates...you'd be surprised.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Then what about the oil filter that are magnetize ?

That seems to be logic if you use the right one ...

Applications and Benefits of Magnetic Filtration

Applications and Benefits of Magnetic Filtration
It's all very good theory...especially the part about magnets @28,000 gauss inside a filter! However, in auto filters you are limited to space, versus industrial equipment. Plus there's no mention of the price to the average auto owner.....or for that matter, a pic or prototype pic of a magnetic auto filter. Except for the magnetic wraps for spin on filters. If those were powerful enough, that might be the ticket. If I have some time, I'll wander through all those links for product.

It's always been a trade off with paper/felt type filters; small enough micron opening to catch particulates, but not too small to plug the filter and make unfiltered oil go through the bypass. The best system I ever saw was a centrifugal oil filter that you took out, cleaned and put back on. It never got plugged, but captured about everything nasty.

Kevin

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
If you have an old and useless computer hard drive, break it apart. You'll find a couple strong coin-size magnets inside. I "stick" them to the drain plug. Works just like the magnetic plugs.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300E (sold) , W203 C320 2001 (09/2013), W210 E320 1999 wagon 4matic (10/2013)
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I'm afraid with the magnetize oil plug could happen ???

Possible Disadvantages

Detached Particle Agglomerations – A common risk associated with using magnetic separators is the possibility of particles becoming detached from the magnet and washed downstream in mass, potentially entering a sensitive component.

I wrote to them this morning and will share the answer, when I do receive it :)

For the oil I will use Amsoil 5-30w for my first oil change ...Dam winter :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
That's what I'm afraid with the magnetize oil plug could happen ???

Possible Disadvantages

Detached Particle Agglomerations – A common risk associated with using magnetic separators is the possibility of particles becoming detached from the magnet and washed downstream in mass, potentially entering a sensitive component.

I wrote to them this morning and will share the answer, when I do receive it :)

For the oil I will use Amsoil 5-30w for my first oil change ...Dam winter :eek:
I suppose that's always a risk, but the stronger the magnet, the less risk. But if a cheap magnet's surface is covered and it tries to hold on to an additional particulate mass for awhile, then releases it....yeah, that could be trouble....good point.

You won't go wrong with Amsoil unless it leaks through the seals in your engine. If you put less that 10,000 miles a yr on your car, you only have to buy it once a yr. I do change my oil filer though-once in that period.....about midway.

Kevin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Hi !

Here's a follow up on my search on magnetic filter

This product is a pre oil filter, so particles are stop at the entrance

you tube video educational :)) It seems to be more good to it then bad ...

YouTube - 2 FORCEFIELD MAGNETIC ENGINE OIL FILTER ADAPTERS

and they do fit on Wix Filter 51088 (300E 1987)

FORCEFIELD MAGNETIC FILTER SYSTEM FOR ENGINES on eBay.ca (item 310115655101 end time 03-Feb-11 09:48:09 EST)
OK, but let's be clear here about a couple of things. Same caveat that we raised earlier; there will be a point when the magnet is 'full' and you won't see this because it's sealed. It's at that point where the danger lies; i.e., will it hold on to a small mass when full and then release it because it is full?

Also, don't get sucked into the rhetoric that you can extend your oil changes because of this device. That was not really stated, but possibly implied. Even with Amsoil, there will come a time when the additive package is used up and will not suspend particulates anymore and neutralize acids. The oil may be fine still, but the additive package is toast. And like the vid says, metal particulates only account for about 50% of the contaminants in oil. The rest are non-metallic things like coke & carbon and acids.

My problem with this particular device is 'how' do you know when it's full/used up??

Kevin

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
This has been discussed to death at bobistheoilguy. Some points of discussion are below.

- The magnetic drain plug only catches ferrous particles.

- The magnetic drain plug is in the flow path before the oil filter. The larger ferrous particles would likely be caught by the oil filter anyhow, before it reaches the sensitive parts of the engine. The smaller particles are within the oil film thickness and have minimal impact on lubrication as a contaminant.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
- The magnetic drain plug only catches ferrous particles.

Duh, I believe I stated that above.

- The magnetic drain plug is in the flow path before the oil filter. The larger ferrous particles would likely be caught by the oil filter anyhow, before it reaches the sensitive parts of the engine. The smaller particles are within the oil film thickness and have minimal impact on lubrication as a contaminant.

The smaller ferrous particles are only suspended in the oil, if the additive package in the oil is still working. If not, they can wind up against any bearing surface in the engine. What we're wondering about is the scenario where the unseen 'magnet' is full, it temporarily holds on to metal particles on the top surface of other metal particles already captured.....will it have a tendency to release those routinely in clusters? Or at that stage, will it just act like it's not even there? These aren't questions to speculate about from an armchair, as they should be documented somewhere from independent testing of the pre-filter magnet. I don't gave a damn about 'opinions'.

Kevin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the answer from Filter mag

Hi Kevin and you all

I got the answer from Filter mag here it is ...

I will order one and will try it to see...It can't hurt ... and will be taken the filter apart after it, to see the difference with the one I'm using right now.

Weird started with a bolt to finish with a filter, but feel more confident with the filter.

Hi Marc,

The RA300 or SS300 would work for your Mercedes as long as it is not a diesel engine; we do not have a product for the oil filter in that style of diesel Mercedes as of yet. Please contact our Ontario Distributor below for pricing and availability:

Camark Engineering Limited
Equipment
Ph: 1-877-762-9969

Thanks so much for your interest in our product and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Warm regards,

Lesslie Garrett

1 - 20 of 31 Posts