Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Went to a "performance muffler" shop and they're telling me if I swap the stock muffler to a Magnaflow 22" muffler, I'll get good HP and torque gains. No change in the other piping mind you, just the muffler. I'm a little skeptical.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
That's what I'm about to do ... the reason I'm about to do it though is for the sound. I do believe that it would help with HP and TQ since you are helping airflow but not messing with piping diameter. Just my .02 cents!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the parts and mercedes benz items I found really cheap at www.buybidcheap.com Also listed the best prices on Mercedes/BMW/Land Rover/Audi/ and exotic cars at auction prices.

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
bocobod - 5/10/2005 10:19 PM

Hey all.

Went to a "performance muffler" shop and they're telling me if I swap the stock muffler to a Magnaflow 22" muffler, I'll get good HP and torque gains. No change in the other piping mind you, just the muffler. I'm a little skeptical.

Any opinions?
Someone out their has done it. When I was re-searching my solution I came across this picture. Unfortunatly I can't find the post again.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Swizzles - 5/11/2005 9:54 AM

bocobod - 5/10/2005 10:19 PM

Hey all.

Any opinions?
Someone out their has done it. When I was re-searching my solution I came across this picture. Unfortunatly I can't find the post again.
That looks like a Flowmaster to me ... no Magnaflow looks like that.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
MLOFF -- What were you going to put on your ML?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Just getting the muffler and removing the resonator. So it should give me a few ponies and sound much better.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 sport
24 Posts
Newbie first post. I pick up my 01' 430 Sport tomorrow from the dealer. They sold it new and it had all its scheduled maintenence.

Please let us know how your muffler turns out. I would love to hear a little rumble from my V-8. Has anyone hollowed out the dual cats or removed them altogether? Just wondered if it had been done?

Look forward to learning from this site!!!![^]

·
Registered
2000 ML-430 Polar White
319 Posts
I put one on 4 weeks ago. just a generic 2 in 1 out. take the resonator, which site behind the muffler out to... sounds good. do a search for "another mod"

·
Registered
MB C-300 Sport 2009 Manual Black XPIPE+Exhaust=Brilliance
341 Posts
PLEASE HELP!!!!

HEY GUYS I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD DO THIS OR NOT.

I have the new C-300 '08 I just did an X-pipe wow no sound difference at all just more power (a slight change) if I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers will that damage my car in the long run or will it sound like a rice honda? or should i got with new Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers????? please let me know what I should do I dont want to do a full exhaust its too expensive!! Should I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers or vise versa????

HELP!!:surrender::bowdown:

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
HEY GUYS I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD DO THIS OR NOT.

I have the new C-300 '08 I just did an X-pipe wow no sound difference at all just more power (a slight change) if I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers will that damage my car in the long run or will it sound like a rice honda? or should i got with new Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers????? please let me know what I should do I dont want to do a full exhaust its too expensive!! Should I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers or vise versa????

HELP!!:surrender::bowdown:
Hey Kirill,

WHY do this at all???

From your musings above it seems like you already have some reservations.

Any you have a perfectly nice C300.

As the saying goes: 'If it aint broke don't fix it' :)

ps.

This section of the Forum is for the ML (W163).

·
Registered
2007 BMW X3
472 Posts
The factory ML muffler looks huge. Something half the size would shed some weight.

How much extra HP are we talking 10HP? Also, are we talking about a performance "muffler" or a free flowing muffler? You know the muffler you can see right through. like a glass pack. That would really be loud. :)

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
no way changing the muffler will net 10HP.. 2-3hp max. I bet timing and ecu mapped for 93-94 octane fuel is the only way to get 10-15hp out of a NA engine like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts