Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know, I've read time and time again that this is not the way to go. But I cant stop thinking how restricted the stock catalytic converters are and how much potential there is hidden there.

Anyway, I recently visited the Magnaflo site and found that they now make a new catalytic converter that is designed for the newer SL500 & 600. This is a quote from their site:

MagnaFlow's California Catalytic Converters are the first series of a new line of converters designed for use on vehicles equipped with Second Generation On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) systems. They are designed, tested, and catalogued for specific vehicles. They are not traditional universal converters. These converters have higher efficiency than conventional strict California requirements for conversion efficiency and durability. These converters are warranted for 5 years or 50,000 miles on the converter body and 5 years on the performance of the internal catalyst, including replacement for OBDII diagnostic codes for low catalyst efficiency.

This is the model designed for the 1996-2000 SL500: Product Search Results - MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters by Car Sound

I'm going to contact a representative on monday to varify this will work in our cars without getting check engine issues. If they guarantee me this will work with no issues, then Im willing try it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly.

·
Registered
Sl500 1997
215 Posts
I had a problem with my car and i removed catalytics
Now car flyes ;)

·
Registered
1995 sl 500 red/black w/renntech wheels
686 Posts
Why 96-2000. isnt it the same from 91-98 then in 99 it changes till 02.?????

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tjobeid said:
Why 96-2000. isnt it the same from 91-98 then in 99 it changes till 02.?????
I thought so too. I'll ask them to clarify that when I call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, heres the scoop:

I talked to Jim at their headquarters in Cali and he confirmed that this will be a direct replacement to our original catalytic converters with no check engine wories. He assured me that Magnaflow would stand by the product but there should be no issues after installation. It will flow better than factory cats but, unfortunately, is not available for another 3-4 months. So I guess we have to wait. Oh well...

·
Registered
'94 SL600; '65 Belvedere I; '65 Coronet; '67 Fairlane; '71 Satellite; '78 Pace Car & more
12 Posts
Tech-Tune:

I think these new converters will help you alot. Now your cooking with gas--

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for leading me back in this direction. I'll be periodically checking up on magnalow for availability. Once I have any news, I'll post it here.

Hey Michael, whats your take on the resonators. And, would you suggest anything else be done to the exhaust system, other than the cats and muffler?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it makes me more power, then I think I could live with it being a few decibles higher than what it is now. :)

·
Registered
1998 Triple Black SL500
95 Posts
Tech-Tune said:
If it makes me more power, then I think I could live with it being a few decibles higher than what it is now. :)
ditto, I'd love to get a pair of these fitted.

·
Registered
'94 SL600; '65 Belvedere I; '65 Coronet; '67 Fairlane; '71 Satellite; '78 Pace Car & more
12 Posts
Tech-Tune:

I think the rest of your exhaust is fine. The cats are the big restriction, besides, there is no room under there to run true duals the way the underbody is designed. I don't think you can really run bigger pipes either, not in the stock location. I think you are on the right track.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,348 Posts
if you can't wait, you always can get the $Brabus$ Metal Catalytic Converters.....:D

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt even know they offered them. How many millions do they want for them? Also, can you provide a link to their advertizement for the cats, I cant seem to find them.

thanks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the links Lynn.

Lynn, I gotta say, you are all over this forum providing links and helpful hints to just about everybody. You truly are a fountain of information and an asset to benzworld. Thanks, on behalf of all of us.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,348 Posts
Tech-Tune said:
I didnt even know they offered them. How many millions do they want for them? Also, can you provide a link to their advertizement for the cats, I cant seem to find them.

thanks
it not on the website link....... it on the thick Brabus catalog....... you could call Brabus USA.... (949) 797-0177 for pricing....... I think it very pricey...... I would just wait for the Magnaflow cats........:) oh, I just found the link...... here the link that talk very little about the Brabus cats......:p
BRABUS Performance

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got off the phone with a representative from magnaflow. Still nothing yet, but as soon as I have news I will post it here.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts