Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on my winter tires that are on mags. Now I've got a wheel shimmy. I've never cleaned the corrosion from the mating surfaces, is that something you do generally? I picked up a screw in the tire within minutes of driving after having changed the tires and I'm wondering if the shimmy might just be from the plug and will go away after the excess wears away. Hate to take the rims off again and sandpaper for no good reason.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just put on my winter tires that are on mags. Now I've got a wheel shimmy. I've never cleaned the corrosion from the mating surfaces, is that something you do generally? I picked up a screw in the tire within minutes of driving after having changed the tires and I'm wondering if the shimmy might just be from the plug and will go away after the excess wears away. Hate to take the rims off again and sandpaper for no good reason.
try cleaning up the surfaces and remounting in a different location :..back to front if tires directional, if anyting it will give you a hint if the wiggle moves ,if that don't work try a re-balance on that wheel only,,5-10$

these are the things I would do...

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Once they were installed and balanced,..there should be no shimmy. You'll have to check the balancing again. Make sure that the hubs and wheel surfaced are also clean and smooth,.. and all is properly torqued.

Maybe they qlitched on a wheel balance......or...Could one of the winters be out of round or damaged with last years removal..???

You've already run with these tires before,..I presume...

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm sure everyone already knows, but don't store your tires standing upright. This creates flat spots and puts them out of round. Store you tires laying down, or on their sides, then you can stack them to save space.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm sure everyone already knows, but don't store your tires standing upright. This creates flat spots and puts them out of round. Store you tires laying down, or on their sides, then you can stack them to save space.
What would you suggest when we leave the tires on the car,
But put the car away for the winter
Is it better to jack the car on blocks?

·
Registered
920 Posts
YES. if you store a car sitting on it's tires, you'll develop flat spots. If storing a vehicel, always prop the car on jack stands. Also, stabilize the fuel, or it will go bad. Again, not driving a vehicle for a 2 weeks, doesn't warrant this, but anything longer than a month, you may want to consider. Also, when tires don't get driven on, they become brittle over time (a long time though).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You may have something there. Just finished scraping the pretty badly oxidized mags seating surface clean, but i still have a shimmy, although somewhat less now, which was not there last week with the summer tires. I did store them vertically because of space constraints. Hopefully the flat spot will work itself out over time somewhat:(
Thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
If you store the wheels or tires up-right but unloaded,.ie:.off of the car and one beside the other,... it should never be a problem. Many garages store their customers wheels/tires on racks in the up-right but unloaded position until the next season changeover.

Now storing them in sunlight will be damaging to them,..so always have a bag or cover over them. I've been doing this for many decades and I've never had a flat spot or shimmy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you store the wheels or tires up-right but unloaded,.ie:.off of the car and one beside the other,... it should never be a problem. Many garages store their customers wheels/tires on racks in the up-right but unloaded position until the next season changeover
well, thanks for that Derek, that makes me feel a bunch better. So now I'll pull the front wheels again and make certain the surface to the hub is perfectly clean... maybe sanding (as I did at first) didn't do that great a job. I scraped the rears and was suprised how well that worked.... out with the jack yet again :surrender:

re the sunlight. I had a pair of tires about 20 year old, stored in a dark attic, and I put them on execting them to fall apart within minutes.... left them on all summer. They were Pirellis... go figure

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
All rubbers, vinyls and plastics are polymers and will age and harden,..and oxygen also plays an important role in this process. Carbon black added to tires helps to slow the UV rays from accelerating the aging process but it still continues,...but at a slower rate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts