Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked thon another forum, but there are not so many members, so here is the same question again and any help greatly appreciated....

Firstly, thanks (especially to Lofty) for the recommendation of BBA-Reman. They just returned my MAFS repaired and the car seems to run a lot better than it diod....no rough idling, no flat spots and no stalling, and that was all thoroughly tested on a return trip to London through heavy traffic, so a job well done.

However....

The Engine Management light seems to be still illuminated. We initially thought it was a fault held in the memory and so left the battery disconnected to try to wipe it, without success. Is this normal? Will I need to manually clear it?

Also, by pure bad luck, the car now wont start. All dash lights are lit, but do not extinguish when th key is rotated [to pos 2 and to start]. Does this suggest a dead (or dying) battery ?? It did go flat a couple of times through lack of use, so I wonder if it has had it's day !

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Good new on the MAFS , bad news on the engine management light, you will need to get this deleted depending on the year pre 2000 you may need to go to MB or MB indi.
after 2000 any garage should have diagnostics that will clear the light .
hand help as shown on my site will clear most trouble codes. although this happened before normally the repaired mafs clears the fault when re-fitted.
did you observe the rule and allow it to stand for a short wwhile after the battery was connected, and did you follow the battery connection procedure of turning on at least side lights.
Although MB say turn off all services, they have daignostics to clear fault lamps. To avoid the spike of power hitting the ECU always put your light switch to at least side lights posotion or the lamp mmay light even after fitting just the barttery, this applies to New bqattery as well .

Dash lights, battery could well be but I would expect the lights to dim when I turned the ignition key to start posiition, so could be battery could be starter switch. if your battery is over 4 years old it's suspect.

both are covered on my site Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info, wine making, solar panels, scotland, canada rockies, orchids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply Lofty...very much appreciated.

I didn't do the steps you mentioned when refitting, although it was in fact fitted by my cousin-in-law, a Renault technician. I doubt he did that either.

As a follow up, jump started the A160 from my Renault Scenic and it started straight away. I drove it for a while and the ABS/ESP lights were on which ccording to the manual is an indication of low battery volts.

I am off now to collect a new battery from Euro Car Parts as it is £40 + VAT instead of the average £90 at other well known outlets!! Hopefully then the car should be in top shape!

Still having probs opening your site Lofty. I will take it up with my ISP as it looks like I have an isolated problem!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
After you had the battery off for the ECU/Mafs the esp/abs and windows would have wanted re-setting anyway, turn the steering wheel fully left and then right while moving slowly and the esp/abs indicateor light should go out the window and that procedure are on my site.

you know what they say! You can take the horse to the water but you cant make it drink.

use this link to open my site then make sure the cooki is saved on your pc You are the only person I know of that has probs but of course there may be hundreds of people out there who just haven't said . but there are over 1500 pages turned every day so I would expect at least somebody to say other than your good self if they were having a problems

Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info, wine making, solar panels, scotland, canada rockies, orchids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts