Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know other brands that would be trustworthy aside from BOSCH? I need to get a sensor ASAP and my autozone has one in-stock but its not BOSCH. Its going for $160.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I would look to see what AutohausAz has for sale. Personally I would not buy anything for my MB from AutoZone, Advanced, Kragen's or PepBoy's unless it is something universally accepted like Mobil1 0W-40 oil. I think the MAF you are considering is likely to be a rebuilt Bosch shell with a cheapo "Chinese" sensor.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
One of the reasons I like scheduled/preventative maintenance is that is nearly eliminates the "sudden need" such as this.

At that price I would not do it. May as well go to the stealer and that way you know it is correct, and it won't be that much more anyway. It's a balanced system for the ULeV engine, four cats, four sensors. and I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would look to see what AutohausAz has for sale. Personally I would not buy anything for my MB from AutoZone, Advanced, Kragen's or PepBoy's unless it is something universally accepted like Mobil1 0W-40 oil. I think the MAF you are considering is likely to be a rebuilt Bosch shell with a cheapo "Chinese" sensor.
Thats what I'm scared of. I purchased a rebuilt sensor several months ago to pass smog, which worked, but now I think its causing me to have issues now. I haven't been able to drive it cause of stalling/bogging issues. After several days of diagnosing I felt that was the place to start. I was warned to stay away from the aftermarket sensors and now I wish I would have.

Anyone have a rough cost of what the dealer would charge for OEM?? If its not more than $200 I'd be able to get one Monday and hopefully fixes my issue. Autohaus has it for $180/shipped but if I can find one local for a couple bucks more, I think I'll buy it local to get my MB back on the road.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Run away from Autozone MAF as fast as you can - for $160 that MAF is a rebuilt, using a cheap/no-good China made sensor.

There are a LOT of scams/misrepresentation on MAF's, especially with rebuilts and China sensors.

Autohausaz.com has had none bad feedback on MAF's here for years, correct genuine Bosch and no substitues ever, $180 including shipping if ordered Weds should be to you by Weds from AZ:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Another real trick to avoid is that there are internet sources that will ship you a genuine Bosch for like $30-$40 cheaper, but it is a generic Bosch made for a VW, and not the correct specific Bosch listed for the MB. And there has never been anything at all from Bosch saying the cross reference to this genericBosch is correct replacement for the Bosch MB part#.

Don't outsmart yourself - do the right thing !

P/S: same and WORSE for Autozone CPS no-name sensor, same price or higher as buying the correct genuine Bosch CPS sensor from a guy like Autohausaz.com - and the Autozone part is China no name doo doo.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At that price I would not do it. May as well go to the stealer and that way you know it is correct, and it won't be that much more anyway. It's a balanced system for the ULeV engine, four cats, four sensors. and I wouldn't chance it.
Yeah that was my thinking also......$160 is alot to pay for chancing it. Might only fix my issue for a couple weeks or months then right back again, just like I did with my current MAF.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
No - no one local to you will have the correct genuine Bosch part for anywhere close to $200, the only source would be a MB dealer, and their price will be like $450+.

If you place your autohaus order first thing Monday morning, it should ship out Monday, you can check with them on that by tel.

If you need it bad, then ask them if it ships Monday what the added cost will be for 1 days hipping, as compared to standard UPS surface which to you would be like 2 days - 3 days max.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
A good number of the China sensor fail because the "cleaning cycle" doesn't work right - you could try a cleaning with MAF cleaner and that "might" help you for 1 to 2 days.

If you also used retail auto parts air filter - you might be prudent and order the correct Mann from autohaus as well.

In California, you have dust, lots and lots of airborne dust. Short changing on air filter and short changing on rebuilt MAF will lead to trouble fairly quickly.

No shiny silicone spray dress up in the engine compartment either - bad stuff for even a genuine MAF.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Thats what I'm scared of. I purchased a rebuilt sensor several months ago to pass smog, which worked, but now I think its causing me to have issues now. I haven't been able to drive it cause of stalling/bogging issues. After several days of diagnosing I felt that was the place to start.
As a short term workaround, you can try and unplug the MAF sensor. That will put you on a default electronic map for the engine. Not optimal, but it will allow you to get where you need to be and probably less harmful than a bad MAF. Just be aware that it will also cause the electric cooling fan to run the whole time, so it's not meant for longterm use.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good number of the China sensor fail because the "cleaning cycle" doesn't work right - you could try a cleaning with MAF cleaner and that "might" help you for 1 to 2 days.
Well I cleaned the MAF, cleaned the EGR, cleaned the throttle body...and still having the bogging/stalling issue during acceleration. So lead me to believe that after about 3 months the cheap sensor I installed is the culprit. Number of people said it could be the Crankshaft sensor but I think maybe the MAF should be ruled out first.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a short term workaround, you can try and unplug the MAF sensor. That will put you on a default electronic map for the engine. Not optimal, but it will allow you to get where you need to be and probably less harmful than a bad MAF. Just be aware that it will also cause the electric cooling fan to run the whole time, so it's not meant for longterm use.
Didn't know that was an option. Well it would basically just be driven to work and home for 1 or 2 days, until I receive the MAF. Its a 20 mile roundtrip, quite a few stoplights, no freeways.

I'm going to call the dealer first thing tomorrow for a quote on the MAF, if its out of my range (expecting it but just wanted to try) then i'll order it from Autohaus, hoping to get it by weds.

I was even thinking about calling my local junkyards to see if they have any wrecked E320's.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
I was even thinking about calling my local junkyards to see if they have any wrecked E320's.
Probably not a worthwhile route. The MAF may have been exposed to the elements due to a broken inlet pipe, no air-cleaner, etc.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
We had long thread with Ron, the boss on this forum and German Star parts supplies. He is, or at least was selling lot of generic MAFs. My son is driving on one in his ML320. Haven't hear about anybody complying.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
You can have a look at the numbers on the side of the sensor, from there you can find the same sensor and perhaps cheaper as it might be for a Skoda or a WV.
Worth a try.
The number on the housing unit are for MB and Bosh but only for you car, hence the price as they know its a MB. The sensors numbers are for the sensor only that can be fitted in other cars.
Olivier

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The generic VW crossover substitution performs like doo doo. MAF's are different between VW#/Skoda# and the MB# MAF, the substution is a cheap trick here in the US.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Not if you got the proper numbers on the side of the MAF.
Also I runned a VW MAF on mine with no problems at all. Great and half the price.
I am on a BMW series 7 now but cannot say anything yet as I am dealing with pump problems for a long while and this need to be sorted first.
Olivier

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
you don't have to get the whole thing, just buy the insert. I got mine over 4 years ago for less than $100. Works great, over 40,000 miles. Think it was German Star that I got it from.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
you don't have to get the whole thing, just buy the insert. I got mine over 4 years ago for less than $100. Works great, over 40,000 miles. Think it was German Star that I got it from.
Last I heard he was selling them for about $125 with shipping. That said, there are still remaining concerns about whether it's actually a Bosch part (Bosch does not sell the insert separately in the US; read the thread in the 163 forum, as Kajtek1 has noted his was not a Bosch part, but has worked okay), and considering (1) that it's a mission-critical part and (2) that it's not much more than that to get the assembly - which is Bosch - it's not a place I'd personally care to compromise.

I've mentioned more than once that German Supply (on ebay) sometimes has them for the best price. I PM'd a link to Jagster, they had a couple available for $138 with shipping. No reason to tempt fate for $15, at least not to me.

That said, I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, to each their own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts