Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. with all the problems associated with MAF sensors is it OK just to change it before it goes bad?

2. I replaced my air cleaners this weekend and the MAF looks easy to change out. A couple clips and a plug in electrical connection, is this all that is required or is there programming issues or something else?
thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought some K&N filters and need to take off the air filter box. I found some inverted torx screws holding the air box together. It is just removing all the screws to take off the air box or we need some other tricks to open the air box? I could not find any screws behind the air box near the clamps. I guess the back portion does not need to come off to access the air filter. Does anyone has a picture of this or a diagram off a manual?

On the MAF, how can you tell if it is bad? I have my ML320 changed out but the dealer did not seem to know if it was bad or not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks F55, I'm going to just change it out to make me feel more secure, as I have 50,000 miles and it has never been changed.

To the question how to change air filters? I started by unsnapping the air snouts on each side of the radiator but leaving them secured to the air box. Then I gently pulled the front AMG cover up as it just snaps into place accross the back and one snap underneath in the front. Next there is four pressure fit clips onto rubber holders two in the front and two in the back to remove the whole air box. Turn the air box upside down and remove about 10 screws so to gain access to the air filters. Reverse procedure to re-assemble.

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Yeah, I had that little hesitation when shifting, but never had a MIL. Couldn't hurt to change it. Prices vary wildly, so shop it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey F55 what is MIL?

Since as you mentioned, part prices fluctuate, where would you recommend a guy shops for this sensor and other parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
Malfunction Indicator Lamp, or check engine light. For the MAF, check with GermanStar (one of the site advertisers) or do a search on E-bay. Just don't buy some $100.00 Chinese knockoff or anything used, no matter how cheap. I've seen them from around $179.00, all the way up to $350.00 (dealer prices).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks F55, do I have the A113 or the A112 series of MAF sensor?
the first place I looked asked me if I had a A112 or A113 and I said I think A113 but I'll find out.
thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
113. Look for the Bosch OEM part. Last time I checked, around $250.00.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last Sunday I changed out my MAF sensor simply as a preventative measure.
I bought off e-bay a new Bosch sensor sealed in a Mercedes box, I paid $225 for it.
For you guys like me that want to do it yourself here is what I did.
Pulled up on both sides of the AMG cover it pops up. Unhooked the two air snouts each side of the radiator, pulled up the air box off the four rubber knobs, then gently unplugged the electrical connection to the MAF. Next look close at the rubber clip that holds both sides around the MAF sensor, in the middle is a press fit connection that I undid to remove the black plastic clip, followed by gently with a slot headed screw driver pried back the metal spring clip holding the MAF sensor while I wiggled back and forth on the MAF sensor pulling it up and out of its mounting hole, then reverse the above for assembly.

PLEASE REMEMBER JUST ONE THING I LEARNED THE HARD WAY WHEN WORKING ON GERMAN CARS, IF YOU HAVE TO MUSCLE ANYTHING ITS WRONG, JUST BE PATIENT AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO FINESSE PARTS IN AND OUT.

·
Registered
99 E55 Wagon
20 Posts
E55pvan - 2/15/2005 1:27 PM

Last Sunday I changed out my MAF sensor simply as a preventative measure.
I bought off e-bay a new Bosch sensor sealed in a Mercedes box, I paid $225 for it.
For you guys like me that want to do it yourself here is what I did.
Pulled up on both sides of the AMG cover it pops up. Unhooked the two air snouts each side of the radiator, pulled up the air box off the four rubber knobs, then gently unplugged the electrical connection to the MAF. Next look close at the rubber clip that holds both sides around the MAF sensor, in the middle is a press fit connection that I undid to remove the black plastic clip, followed by gently with a slot headed screw driver pried back the metal spring clip holding the MAF sensor while I wiggled back and forth on the MAF sensor pulling it up and out of its mounting hole, then reverse the above for assembly.

PLEASE REMEMBER JUST ONE THING I LEARNED THE HARD WAY WHEN WORKING ON GERMAN CARS, IF YOU HAVE TO MUSCLE ANYTHING ITS WRONG, JUST BE PATIENT AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO FINESSE PARTS IN AND OUT.
Did you notice any performance gain? Or was your old MAF ok?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my old one was fine, I noticed no performance gain after the new one...but as F55 mentioned these are sore spots with 55's so for $225 plus freight I feel better knowing I'm good to go and did not leave any performance on the table.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi E55pvan,

Thanks for the instruction on changing the air filter. The original filters in the car were kind of dirty so it was good that I changed them out. The K&N filter seems to be a little less restrictive (may be it is just cleaner) and the car rev more willingly. However, if I am not driving my car 5 times a day, I don't think I would have noticed the difference. The increase in HP was probably negligible but drivability seems to have improved slightly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts