Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy, I am owner of w140 S320 and I have problem with MAF sensor.
Can someone help me with my problem, is it possible to bridge some connectors on maf sensor jack to fix problem to a short time ?

Becouse, my car can't drive and I need new maf sensor, but it will be available for me in 15 days.:crybaby2:

Thanke you !

P.S. Sorry on my english :argue:

·
Registered
284 Posts
That MAF sensor serves following function (s) in a nutshell:

1. To maintain the resistance of the center conductor with heat and as the air is drawn across that wire. Current is expended to maintain the resistance status quo...well, that current is what the LH-SFI uses this information including a few other inputs for further idle/acceleration via throttle actuator calculations/feedback.

The other is called "Hot Wire Burn Off" and this occurs a few seconds after the engine is turned off. The temperature of the surrounding platinum wire in the center of the MAF, increases to 1000 C (1800 deg F), this is for only a sec or two and is only after engine is turned off.

This "Burn Off" removes impurities (dust, etc) from the center wire and surrounding area and is a very important reason to keep that intake filter clean and the air intake well sealed!

Now sometimes the LH-SFI will malfunction and this "Burn Off" has/will occur while the car is operating and tooling down the road. Then the resistance of the center conductor goes to hell momentarily and your acceleration and idle will be a mess. This has happened on a couple of vehicles in our past and can be expensive to replace the card (approx $1500.00) if Robert can't do his magic act. Hope this qualifies the following answer.

NOPE.... sorry!

Good luck with the new MAF installation, Dietrich

1 - 2 of 2 Posts