Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read over this forum, and I am going to be another one of those "but it didn't answer my exact question" people. Please be patient with my lack of knowledge with this car.

I have a 1997 C280 Sport. I bought one of the eBay MAF sensors... that I now see everyone advises against. The car threw a cam shaft position sensor code - I just replaced that and cleaned the MAF sensor at the same time (disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes). After I started the car, I realized I had put the MAF sensor back where it was supposed to be, however I neglected to plug it in, so that was done after the car had already been started.

The car idles roughly, sometimes stalls at idle, stalls intermittently when I put it in gear, gags when I hit the accelerator (not as often at higher RPM, but it will still do it). I also notice that after/during the hesitation there is a clunking noise coming from underneath right before it kicks in and goes... not loud enough to be a backfire, but sounds like a clunk or pop. This afternoon I tried to continue acceleration through the gagging, clunking and popping hoping to either resolve the issue or put it out of it's misery all together - it climbed up to about 6000 RPM and hung there even when I let off the gas pedal. It eventually regained it's composure and chugged it's way home, idled in the driveway for about 5 minutes, and then finally stalled again.

The codes are now P0100 and P0110

To remedy the MAF problem I am more than willing to buy one of the inserts from GermanStar... I was kinda hoping someone here would read this and tell me I missed something completely obvious though.

Please be gentle, I am new to Mercedes and new to the forum - learning as I go. I also just completed the boyfriend-delete mod, so I am pretty much on my own with this one, therefore, over-explanatory explanations will not be frowned upon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
The MAF is definitely sounding like it.

I had my car pop under the hood like that due to the faulty wiring harness causing coils to short(I had to replace it)

OR

the 97 c280 was the last of the Inline 6 cylinders also the last of the hindered wiring harness. They fixed it mid 97 btw. So check the condition of the harness first if the harness feels brittle/hard meaning it will not flez with ease then its causing issues from shorting the MAF to shorting the Coils and other sensors. Harness will cause all issues.

If harness is ok and there are no other Codes, then it is most likely the MAF. Rather than the air temp sensor.

P.S whats the question with the cam postion and water temp sensors?

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply, although the wiring harness was the last thing I wanted to hear that might be on it's way out.

I will go out and check it. I do remember the guy I bought the car from telling me that he had replaced it and also suggesting that I keep a spare one around b/c they are notorious for failing.

I don't have a cam position sensor question per se, I just threw that in the title b/c it was one of the things I replaced right before everything went haywire and thought it might be pertinent information.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
as a heads up, if it was replaced with a brand new one, it will not fail again in the same fashion. The new ones are no longer biodegradable in that way. If he said that the i suspect he might have bought a used one that wasn't the revised version and that had not degraded completely. If you rememeber when he told you he replaced it, you can check that agaisnt the date of manufacture of the harness its on a sticker that is some 2-3inches long on a small cable in the computer box area right by the duovalve

the best place to check the condition of the harness is the area of biggest heat. Lift the cover area where the coils are on the cylinder head, and the cable connected to the coils are the best bet. Not the spark plug wires which only connect to the coils to the plug no the harness which goes out of the box to the side. the cam position sensor cable you might have been able to tell but not as much

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
sounds to me like it is probably the cheap maf acting up. do you still have the old maf? why did you replace it to begin with?

next, you can try unplugging the maf and running the car. does it run better with it unplugged? if so, the maf is probably the issue. unplug it and plug it back in when the key is not in the ignition just to be safe to prevent electrical transients.

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the old maf anymore. I replaced it b/c it threw that code - and it ran like a champ for a couple of weeks afterwards. It threw the cam shaft position sensor code as well, so I replaced it, just not at the same time.

The car just seems to be regressing with every new part!

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did unplug the MAF and run the car about 3 miles to my father's house. It had the same issues as it it did plugged in, the only difference was it did not stall as soon as I put it in gear. It still acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel (or starving for something) and then a burst of power. It still stalled if it idled for too long, and gagged when the engine was asked to accelerate.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,651 Posts
When MAFs give away one can have strange problems. MAFs can throw weird unrelated codes. I had a thread on that myself.

Unless you have an OEM MAF it is hard to diagnose other issues. A MAF which is off by just a little bit can send the ECU signals causing errors in other engine adjustments.

The deleted boyfriend may have been so hurt that he has cursed your car. Till you ask for his forgiveness the problem will not go away. You are experiencing his pain.

Oh and check your vacuum lines! Atleast search the forum and read up on it.

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to go ahead and order the Bosch MAF - my question is can I just order the insert and put it in the housing I have now (it's not a Bosch) or do I have to get the whole thing?

After reading some other posts on here, I will definitely check the fuel lines for cracks, rotting, etc. and my vacuum lines too.

I looked into a new wiring harness, and they are not as expensive as I had orginally thought. The description for the harness is as follows:

"Wiring harness to be used in conjunction with fuel level sending units on early models with round pin electrical connections."

This may be a ridiculous question, but would that have anything to do with the fuel level sensor code that I am getting? I have learned not to assume anything with this beast!!

If it's the curse of the deleted boyfriend..... :surrender:

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
I am going to go ahead and order the Bosch MAF - my question is can I just order the insert and put it in the housing I have now (it's not a Bosch) or do I have to get the whole thing?

After reading some other posts on here, I will definitely check the fuel lines for cracks, rotting, etc. and my vacuum lines too.

I looked into a new wiring harness, and they are not as expensive as I had orginally thought. The description for the harness is as follows:

"Wiring harness to be used in conjunction with fuel level sending units on early models with round pin electrical connections."

if your harness is to blame i would check the wires going to the maf based on the codes you recieved but i doubt its the issue since it was replaced. your codes are pointing to the maf. also, the harness you saw probably isnt the entire engine harness.

This may be a ridiculous question, but would that have anything to do with the fuel level sensor code that I am getting? I have learned not to assume anything with this beast!!

If it's the curse of the deleted boyfriend..... :surrender:
97 1997 Mercedes C280 Air Mass Meter - Air Intake - Bosch, Huco - PartsGeek

that will probably be your best price. when i ordered mine they had free shipping over a certain price. not sure if they do anymore.

autohausaz also has them very cheap and they have free shipping over 50 bucks.

i think the maf is the right place to start. once you know you have a reliable unit you can start from there. i would keep the ebay maf though... just in case, i usually keep my old autoparts for a while after i replace them incase i would ever need them... maybe im just crazy.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,651 Posts
You can certainly use the "insert" (sensor) end of the whole unit. That is the business part of the entire MAF anyway. However, make sure you get the exact part number and that would have been stamped on your old "insert", now you need to call your dealer and see if they have that part number or call that internet store to verify. Normally shops sell the whole unit and they don't have a unique part # for the "insert". The housing is just a mold no more than a few bucks.

Every year when you change the air filter you should take the "insert" out of the housing and clean it with a MAF sensor cleaner. So this will be a good practice in removing that part.

Wiring harness is over $700-900! If that is not expensive than you are too rich to be worrying about getting the "insert" only. Unless you are talking about one part of the harness which can be cheaper.

Fuel level sensor is not a big deal right now. When did that code come up? It is either the fuel sensor sending unit that needs replacing or the harness associated with that. Many MBs have that pesky fuel sensor problem. Mine doesn't work.

What are you doing about the Air intake temp error 0110? Can usually be related to MAF error.

I say take care of the MAF first and then look into all other issues.

I would also recommend that you kiss your ex under a mistletoe this new year's eve to see if the problems magically disappear Jan 1, 2011.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
MAF Madness

Certainly been there with the MAF Madness...:eek:

I did not see 1997 C280 on the list attached to the link. W-202's advice is solid. Make sure the numbers match or get ready for another round of problems... The $187.00 price is a good one with the Bosch housing. Autohausaz.com is another good source for parts and MAFs.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Forum!:thumbsup:,

C as in 220

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called to confirm that the insert was indeed a genuine Bosch part and not an aftermarket. They assured me that is was. So it's on the way!

I rechecked the compatability table and they do have listed 8/1996 - 1997 C280 about half way down the list - that should be the beast.

Hopefully this will take care of the MAF problem - if nothing else, at least I'll know I have the correct part in the car, and I can diagnose from there if need be.

Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Good Luck, the best feeling is when you are done replacing the part, you crank the car and voila, your C280's temper tantrum is over.

·
Registered
1997 C280 Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The temper tantrum is over!!! The Bosch insert bolted right in to the aftermarket housing, and the car now runs like a dream.

For my final stunt, I have ordered a couple of control arm bushing kits which will be here sometime next week.

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice - this forum and it's members is cyber GOLD!!

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts