Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably addressed in the past, but my extended warranty on my '00 E55 is up in six months, and I would like to apply some preventative maintenance if necessary. For those of you sporting W210 99 - 02 E55's, how serious is the issue of MAF (mass air flow) sensor failure? Is this issue more prevalent on a specific year W210 E55? Researching the forum, some have designated this issue as "common." When one says "common" does this imply over 50% of W210 99 - 02 E55's? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am estimating that MAF failures are most likely over 50% replaced before 50,000 miles.
I did mine myself just as a preventative measure at about 50,000 but I had no signs of the loss of power that many others experience at all different mileage ranges.
I'm not sure you could get the warranty people to pay to replace yours if your not having problems?

The MAF part from memory is about $120 or so and not hard at all to DIY.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The obvious question then would be: If I replace the MAF sensor will the replacement unit fail at approximately 50K as well? Or, are the replacement units an upgrade of the original unit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The MAF replacement units are the same as the originals and you may or may not have to replace it again.

I know one owner who has had 3 MAF units replaced in 80,000 miles and I know another guy with a 2000 E55 that has 106,000 miles and still has the original.

The MAF is like rust some E55's have problems some don't, who knows why.

Overall the 210 series E55 is a very reliable fun to drive car.

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
"loss of power"!!!

When my MAF died the symptom was total engine shutdown - 4 minutes into the warmup cycle, and goodnight - sometimes for 5 min, sometimes overnight... Only slight problem was, I was in Munich at the time, and I live in London!

So I'd say - certainly, positively totally and definitely, change that sucker if you are over 50k miles and the service people will wear it...

·
Registered
2004 E500 4Matic
31 Posts
Just had my MAF replaced and, OMG, what a difference! I guess it was slowly creeping downhill and I had the car in storage for a while so I wasn't driving much. As soon as I replaced it, the joy was back. Not so sure about the reliability issues, but if you feel like things just aren't quite right, it's probably a good place to start.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I don't know what type of "extended" warranty you have - unless you have something worked out with your dealer Service Advisor or something - it is unlikely you could get a MAF replacement without having thrown at least one occurence of a MAF code.

A after-market purchase of a genuine Bosch MAF complete with housing is about USD$230 for the part, the aftermarket genuine Bosch insert about $160.

On MAF's in aftermarket COUNTERFEITS and KNOCK-OFF rebuilts all of very-very iffy quality abound. I eman there is a real underground business in MAF's even to 100% visual correct, and even to the point of 100% Bosch-like boxes.

As a regular consumeable maitainence item, MAF's are replaced when they fail - user's can clean them as they go if they want - MAF's go bad sometimes depending on the gas additives in the specific area, and/or replacement by very decent intenioned individuals or shops unknowingly with short-lived counterfeit MAF's.

A lot of weekedn DIY'ers disconnect the battery when replacing a MAF, and unknowingly reset their adpative transmission (which is easier to do with the correct key-acclerator procedure - key to postion 1 - hold pepdal tpo the floor 5 sec+ - keep pedal to the floor and ley to position 0 - let go of pedal - keep key in position 0 and all electrical at 0 for 2 + min) so in addition to bringing their MAF circuit back to 100% actually feel the kick-in-the-pants upgrade of the tranny reset.

I would be looking everywhere for fluid seepage and/or pulling codes, and/or causing codes - if you get my drift.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Simply said, codes: 0170; 0173 = replace MAF sensor. Good luck.
+1...

MAFs can also be tested out of the car, I posted Bosch's test in the non-AMG 210 forum: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1379834-bosch-specs-testing-afm-amm-mas.html

The full assembly has dropped quite a bit in price, autohausaz.com still seems to have the best pricing on it.

You can always clean your MAF if you want, too, there is a cleaning DIY in the non-AMG forum, too. :)

Generally speaking, pulling codes periodically is a good way to keep abreast of issues that may possibly arise; codes can store well before the CEL illuminates. Clear them and if they recur, that may be a sign of something regularly going out of range and signaling a potential problem.

In answer to the other question, my casual observation is that it's common in the sense of something to check, but probably less than 25% of owners have to replace them before the 100,000 mile mark. It's cheap enough, just buy one and toss it in your trunk so you have it at when you need it and get it for a great price (retail at the dealer in a pinch is VERY scary just to buy the part). The MB MAFs appear to be very sensitive to their operating range, so it doesn't take much before they are gone, all part of these high-tech ULEV multi-sensored beasts we all love.

Take care and enjoy your spirited rides,
Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts