Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
On the other hand, free of being shackled to the dead horse of Sears, Craftsman seems to be recovering, and opening a new manufacturing plant here in TX.

Or perhaps people have just had enough of cheap, nasty, break-the-first-time-you-use-them tools from Horrible Fright...

If the quality of these new USA-made tools is as good as they used to be (my Craftsman tools are, I believe, from Sears's last USA-made run), then I will look to Craftsman again. Currently, Craftsman SUCKS; at this point, I'm buying used Snap-On and Matco. Certain Lisle tools are also made in USA (I checked the label before purchasing) and were sold by Sears.

Even if it costs Stanley Black & Decker a bit more to bring Craftsman back to its previous level of quality, they should do it. I've put some serious torque on my Craftsman sockets, and I'm talking as much as 700 lb-ft with a 4-feet-long extender bar. This was to get the crankshaft pulley bolt off of some Honda Civics to do their timing belts (it can take that much torque for that bolt on those engines). The socket has held every time.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Same here with Compaq - mostly built just up the road from where I'm sitting, and Texas Instruments - ghost factory still sitting there in Sugar Land.

Might as well hope for the return of steam locomotive factories I'm afraid, though. Those jobs are gone forever.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
THe other thin the US needs to invest in, of course, is TRAINING. On our local community board some woman is moaning she can't, apparently, get a rear quarter panel for a 2012 Mustang, as Ford aren't making them at the moment. All Ford's fault she crashed her car, apparently, but that's by the by.

In the good old days a properly trained panel beater would have beaten the old one out, or called over his welder buddy and they'd have chopped one out of a front-ender totaled donor and welded it in. You would n't be able to spot the repair either way. NOT THESE DAYS....

Same too right now with my R350. Nasty dent in the door from a driveway accident being fixed at long last. The lady estimator says "new door, two grand". I say "bollocks to that". Sikh shop owner comes over, checks out my British accent, we talk about his recent trip to London and his relatives in Southall (a district of north London that used to be all Sikh and Hindu back in the 80s when I was at University just down the road in Uxbridge) realizes I know what I'm talking about, looks at the door and he says "yeah I can beat that out no problem".

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Sadly, not everyone has the $means$ or brains to get a meaningful degree. That's where good trade schools come in and fill an important need across the US and also Canada... ...They should be easily accessible and low cost for all in need of retraining..

..but you can't do that while working low minimum wage and having the "comfortable life" at 80 to 100 hours a week..now can you..

You have to look at the bigger picture and fairness for all ..and not just what "my little company needs" to survive.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
THe other thin the US needs to invest in, of course, is TRAINING. On our local community board some woman is moaning she can't, apparently, get a rear quarter panel for a 2012 Mustang, as Ford aren't making them at the moment. All Ford's fault she crashed her car, apparently, but that's by the by.

In the good old days a properly trained panel beater would have beaten the old one out, or called over his welder buddy and they'd have chopped one out of a front-ender totaled donor and welded it in. You would n't be able to spot the repair either way. NOT THESE DAYS....

Same too right now with my R350. Nasty dent in the door from a driveway accident being fixed at long last. The lady estimator says "new door, two grand". I say "bollocks to that". Sikh shop owner comes over, checks out my British accent, we talk about his recent trip to London and his relatives in Southall (a district of north London that used to be all Sikh and Hindu back in the 80s when I was at University just down the road in Uxbridge) realizes I know what I'm talking about, looks at the door and he says "yeah I can beat that out no problem".

In another thread, I said that welders and metal fabricators are in very high demand and suggested that young folks fresh out of high school might be wise to take some courses in their local community college and become certified at welding and related skills.
That brought out the flame throwers. According to my critics, welding is a dangerous job that subjects workers to constant hazardous environments that will ruin their health. Also, I was told, community college is too expensive to afford.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
I actually agree with you but trying to tell little suburban darlings they need to be welders doesn't go down too well these days, either with them or their parents! They'd rather lounge around at home or hold out in the hope that their Facebook persona is going to make them a gazillion bucks.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
In another thread, I said that welders and metal fabricators are in very high demand and suggested that young folks fresh out of high school might be wise to take some courses in their local community college and become certified at welding and related skills.
That brought out the flame throwers. According to my critics, welding is a dangerous job that subjects workers to constant hazardous environments that will ruin their health. Also, I was told, community college is too expensive to afford.
No flame-throwers here. As I recall, I agreed with you and still do. I also pointed out what IWantedAJag points out, below, as to why kids don't go into these trades.

We have basically become a throw-away society. We don't repair much anymore. @IWantedaJag's post above about the Sikh dude who fixed that body panel, yeah, that used to happen regularly. Dad would tell me all about it. Now we just toss that panel in the recyclers and buy a new one from China.

I actually agree with you but trying to tell little suburban darlings they need to be welders doesn't go down too well these days, either with them or their parents! They'd rather lounge around at home or hold out in the hope that their Facebook persona is going to make them a gazillion bucks.
The parents are a big deal. Same for schools. Seems that going into the trades isn't "sexy" or "prestigious" enough for their little darlings. Nosirree! They need to start out in management or high-tech--something "white-collar". Blue-collar is dismissed by these parents as "low-level". This is especially true if the area happens to be relatively affluent.

The schools are in on it, too, and especially so if the kid is a White female. No, she cannot go into the trades; she needs to be in MANAGEMENT! Umm...what's actually wrong with the trades? On the other hand, they'll tell a Black boy, "you might want to think about auto body, auto mechanics, construction, you know, a good solid trade." I've watched this happen. White kids (especially girls), management. Certain Latina girls (especially light-skinned ones), same thing. Other minority kids, the trades.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
^^ Ah, yes, the encouragement to go into politics....

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
11 Participants
GreenT
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing