Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of us use the OEM Mann fleece filter (HU 718/5) for our engines. These filters sell for more than $15 each at autohausaz, etc.

You can see the application of this filter from this link (and it is for our M112 engines):

Mann HU 718/5 x fleece media oil filter - German Filters

BTW, the cross-reference part number to the Purolator filter on the bottom of the above link is old and Purolator has a new part number that cross-reference to this Mann filter and this will become important below.

We know that sometimes different companies will sell the same product but with different packaging and logos, etc. to hide the fact that the product is made by others. Well, in this case, Purolator did not bother to do any of these.

Inside the Purolator L25277 filter is this exact Mann HU 718/5 filter. See the picture that I took below.

ADAP often has an oil change special that gives you a Purolator oil filter with 5 quarts of Pennzoil or Castrol conventional oils for $15. SO the cost of a fleece filter plus 5 quarts oil is less than the filter alone. They just started this deal today so I got two packages.

You can give the oil to other people or to those of us :D who have M104 engines and the 10W-40 Pennzoil or Castrol will be just fine.

Each store only stock two of these filters. I have a past automotive student of mine working in our local store and that is what he told me. However, they will stock 2 more tomorrow because he entered them into the system to re-stock. So when this filter is out of stock and they notice it, they will stock 2 more.

Here is the proof for the fleece nature of this filter (actualy there is no need as you can see the picture shows it is the same Mann fleece filter).

Purolator also has a paper filter for the M112 and its part number is L25276 (1 digit smaller). This one retails for $14. There is a guy who emailed Purolator asking about the media in these filters and here is the reply by a Purolator engineer manager (see the picture).

For those who have the M104 engine, Purolator also has a (paper) filter for it. The part number is L44757.

So grab one or two but do not make a lot of noise, because they may exclude this in the future. Other stores like Pepboys etc often has something like "up to $5.99 for filter" in their oil change special packages. ADAP does not do that (at least not yet). This is a sleeping deal because the Purolator book does not even list it as a filter for our engines.

If you still say that it is not in a Mann box, then just ignore my post. :eek:

Attachments

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
Thats the one I'm currently using (Mann HU 718/5 x fleece media oil filter - German Filters), a friend of mine who works for MB recommended that product.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
i am not sure if these are the same filters as the Mann HU 718/5

Napa oil filter 7078

WIX 57078 This filters seems to be around $10 and is fleece. Fit the crossfire and mercedes.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Sneaky of Purolator to rebox the Mann.

No Advance Auto's anywhere near me, so it doesn't matter anyhow, though. :D

Nice of you to share, lou.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Rockauto.com have the WIX 57078 for $11.40.
Fleetfilter.com have the WIX 57078 for $10.22.

I believe NAPA 7078 is the same filter but just not sure if it will fit our e's. Maybe someone can check to see if any local parts store stock them. If they do fit and its $10 and you can get it at any local parts store, then i guess its better than ordering online.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am not sure if these are the same filters as the Mann HU 718/5

Napa oil filter 7078

WIX 57078 This filters seems to be around $10 and is fleece. Fit the crossfire and mercedes.
It does look like the same Mann filter as well. God price as well.

I believe the other paper filters for other applications are also re-packaged. I do not think they sell too many of these but have to have for the applications so they probably just buy from the OEM boys.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
It does look like the same Mann filter as well. God price as well.

I believe the other paper filters for other applications are also re-packaged. I do not think they sell too many of these but have to have for the applications so they probably just buy from the OEM boys.
Actually I don't think God has to pay for them, He has no need of oil filters anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I don't think God has to pay for them, He has no need of oil filters anyway. :rolleyes:
Now we have many sources of these fleece filters for less.

I would not be surprised if the K&N (HP 7004) one is also a re-packaged.

·
Registered
98 E-320, 2003 E-500
685 Posts
Thanks Lou,

I think you are on a mission here - not letting Mercedes be all they can be or make all they can make!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Found a picture of the K&N HP-7004 oil filter on Amazon and it looks like the exact same Mann fleece filter. You can still see the "Made in Germany" part but K&N put its own part number on it.

Also the Amazon reviewer confirmed it is made in Germany and said it is likely a Mann filter.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: K&N HP-7004 Oil Filter

Again, if you buy the filter itself, it is not a deal. If it is in an oil change special (filter with oil), then is will be a deal. Like the just expired ADAP $25 deal for 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (Mercedes 229.3) and this filter (if they stock or can order for you), the oil would be less than $2 per quart, factoring in the price of the filter.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts