Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Avantgarde
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has W211, when he presses the key fob to lock the locks , they lock/unlock/lock/unlock/lock in rapid succession before deciding to either stay unlocked or locked depending on what 'Christine' :D wants to do - anyone come across this 'mind of it's own' locking system ?:confused:

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic
51 Posts
Has you friend recently taken apart any of the door panels? When I was replacing a speaker in my C-Class I didn't put the panel back on correctly and it was doing something like that.

If one of the door lock pins is not seated correctly and physically hitting the door panel, it may do that too. The car thinks that it's unable to lock so it unlocks itself?

·
Registered
2004 E320 4Matic Wagon
57 Posts
Has you friend recently taken apart any of the door panels? When I was replacing a speaker in my C-Class I didn't put the panel back on correctly and it was doing something like that.

If one of the door lock pins is not seated correctly and physically hitting the door panel, it may do that too. The car thinks that it's unable to lock so it unlocks itself?
I had this happen with my car - unfortunately it is almost always a repair that requires replacing the whole lock mechanism. You might find some DIY directions online for doing this repair yourself, but it involves drilling out some rivets and taking off the whole door panel - not easy to do and takes a lot of time. My MB dealer wanted a lot of money to do the repair, but I found a local independent garage that does lots of MB work and they did it for under $150 I think.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Before spending any money on repairs try taking the lock plunger off - just unscrew it and fill with WD40 and let it flow down the the screw - try two plungers of WD40 and then give it a try. My drivers side front was doing it and this solved the problem - has not reoccurred and it has been about two years.

·
Registered
2006 E350 4 door W211, 2004 Acura RSX
108 Posts
mine did the same thing. I took it in and it was a bad actuator. Warranty covered the $300 repair at the stealer ship and it was back to normal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before spending any money on repairs try taking the lock plunger off - just unscrew it and fill with WD40 and let it flow down the the screw - try two plungers of WD40 and then give it a try. My drivers side front was doing it and this solved the problem - has not reoccurred and it has been about two years.
Exactly. Rarely is it the actuator... typically it's the rubber boot turning in on itself and sticking.

That didn't work for me so I took off the door panel and then lubricated the rod and rubber boot directly and voila... no more problems!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this happen with my car - unfortunately it is almost always a repair that requires replacing the whole lock mechanism. You might find some DIY directions online for doing this repair yourself, but it involves drilling out some rivets and taking off the whole door panel - not easy to do and takes a lot of time. My MB dealer wanted a lot of money to do the repair, but I found a local independent garage that does lots of MB work and they did it for under $150 I think.
I'll have to agree with this.
And the whole wd40 fix was luck at its best. the lock actuator is elecrtic. wd40 is a liquid. :thumbsup:

Try this on for size if you decide to order online.
2009 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 Parts -

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll have to agree with this.
And the whole wd40 fix was luck at its best. the lock actuator is elecrtic. wd40 is a liquid. :thumbsup:

Try this on for size if you decide to order online.
2009 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 Parts -
There are plenty of threads on this. Almost never is it the actuator, it's actually the rubber boot that the pull-rod runs through. WD40 is hit or miss since you have to get it to run down and lubricate the rod sufficiently so that the sunken-in rubber boot slides and doesn't catch... causing the "machine-gun" action.

MBUSA DTB P-B-72.10/28b DEC05 Front and rear door lock knob (from 10/03 to 3/04 production) – Door lock knob jumping up and down may be caused by a compressed sealing boot where it enters the plastic lock housing.

Procedure for repair:
- Grease the rod in the area directly above the boot (Sliding compound part # A000 989 36 60)
- Pull the boot out of the plastic lock housing
- Extend the boot and reinstall the boot in the plastic housing
- Ensure that the boot remains fully extended after installation

Worked perfectly for me.

·
Registered
06 E500 Avantgard
60 Posts
I did similar to edwin.

I used a plastic wedge tool, slightly prized the door trim enough to get the WD40 nozzle in there and gave it a good squirt. That was 12 months ago, no problems since.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2006 e350 Wagon
5 Posts
Machine gun door locks

My '06 e350 Wagon passenger door started this a few weeks ago. after readind a number of threads, decided to try to lubricate method before tearing apart the door. With the lock up, removed the lock "button", which had some dings and nicks on it. Sanded them down with 400 and 600 wet dry, added a few drops of 3/1 oil down the shaft and no issues for a couple of days.

·
Registered
2003 E320
2 Posts
I found a solution on another forum and it worked great and very low cost.

1) Unscrew the door locking knob
2) Cut 3" of electrical tape
3) Wrap it on an angle like a candy cane from top to bottom
4) Cut any excess
5) Install door locking knob

It worked for me just fine. The electrical tape provides just enough resistance to prevent the machine gun effect.

Good luck!!!

Happy motoring!!!:eclipsee_steering: :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts