Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing this as an "Over Time" project. I would like to put a Mac Mini in my ML, and attach about 2 or 3 7" 16:9 monitors in there too. I am looking for ideas on where to put the monitors. After deciding where I am going to put them, I’m going to have to teach myself how to fiberglass stuff, which should be an experience in itself.

I would like to put the Mac Mini in the Benz for Audio/Video reasons. I think it would be pretty cool. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
I read about a company that was going to manufacture mounts for the Mac Mini so that it would fit in a standard DIN -- no fiberglass necessary. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company.

I love the idea of pulling into the garage and using WI-FI to sync all of your music, videos and anything else that you want. I am not totally familiar with all of the Mac software. Do they have any good voice command stuff??? You might even be able to add bluetooth telephone and Navigation. I would imagine that the systems used for laptops could just plug-in. Lots of possibilities.

As for mounting, one option to preserve your MB dash would be to mount it in the standard location and put your monitors in the sunvisors and rear seat headrests. This would limit the amount of custom work you would have to do as well as keep the OEM wood dash.

Let us know how it turns out.[:D]

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickT - 4/10/2005 2:49 PM

I love the idea of pulling into the garage and using WI-FI to sync all of your music, videos and anything
Great idea!

As for mounting, one option to preserve your MB dash would be to mount it in the standard location and put your monitors in the sunvisors and rear seat headrests. This would limit the amount of custom work you would have to do as well as keep the OEM wood dash.
Not a big fan of Visor monitors or head rests, i want it to look custom... Any other ideas Rick?

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
I use a Mac Mini as the hub of my family room entertainment system.

I use Mac the Ripper and Handbrake to rip DVDs and turn them into 1GB mp4's...then use Matinee or Quicktime...I have about 50 kid's DVDs online right know.

EyeTV rips and records TV shows, and I download Bit Torrents from Sky One in the UK to get pre-release high quality shows.

Use VLC to play the .avi files.

Safari on a 50 inch Sony is killer...you can fill the screen.

Let's talk mobile-mini-mackin'

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=40

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=128837

You could get a USB GPS receiver and mapping software...

Your airport wireless will get you Internet access (when parked right outside a Starbucks with a T-Mobile account...LOL)

Probably best to stick with playing DVDs instead of burining up all of your HD space...save it for iTunes.

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
Safari on a 50 inch Sony is killer...you can fill the screen.
That might be hard to fit in the dash.[:D]

And, if you don't like the visors in the monitor, then how about going for the whole enchilada and putting a 15 inch touch screen lcd in the dash.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really like my Alpine 9813, i was hoping to use that to amp my speakers and have a monitor out on the dash, passanger side... Ever see anything like that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts