Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
: I read somewhere that the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are almost identical.<br>I would've thought that the M5 with is 6 speed transmission would at least <br>post a marginal time difference compared to the E55. <p>I personally would like the E55 given you cannot make alot of mistakes due to it having an automatic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read somewhere that the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are almost identical.<br>I would've thought that the M5 with is 6 speed transmission would at least <br>post a marginal time difference compared to the E55.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the E55 has a lot more torque than the M5 thus the reason<br>the differences are small. I'm not sure by how much though.<p>Ciao!<br>Mike<br>: I read somewhere that the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are almost identical.<br>I would've thought that the M5 with is 6 speed transmission would at least <br>post a marginal time difference compared to the E55. <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HapaHaole..Don't forget the SMG gearbox for the M5, very similar to the 355 F1 box in operation...mo

I have an AMG car and love it, I ordered an M5 and not take delivery when it arrived because as good as it was, it felt heavy and big compared to my E34 M5(which it is compared to this car). <p>This is what I don't understand, why does AMG insist on auto boxes?! Take a C280 or the new C320, you can get a tiptronic, auto or 6 speed but the C36/43 of the same year are auto only. Granted that the AMG tweaked 4 & 5 speed auto boxes are some of the best that I have ever driven and reward manula shifting but some people want manuals and it is easier to drive a manual on the track as there is no danger of the car dropping a gear and surprising you coming of the apex of a corner. One speculation seems to be that the auto box is better equiped to deal with the HP/torque but that is not a problem that the S8+, M5 or Ferrari V12s(talk about a torque monster!) ever encountered!<p>I love them but I am slightly confused as to the sinle minded transmission option. Kinda like Ford......"any color as long as it's black"! ) <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ronald, <p>Thats what i thought at first also. If the M5 did post a marginal difference in times than the E55, i would have gone with it instead.<br>However, best published times of the two vehicles are 4.7 (M5) and 4.8 (E55) along with 1/4 times of 13.1 (M5) and 13.2 (E55).<br>Now, those are pretty darn close, if not almost identical figures. But remember guys,<br>in order for M5's to post the same figures as those in MT or R&T, the driver needs to be equally skilled as those that tested them in the mags.<br>In other words, if an E55 and M5 were to stop at a set of lights and go at it, 9 times out of 10, the AMG would win.<br>Not only that, it would win in CLASS!! The E55's are just drop dead gorgeous and sexy. Really looks like the 75K we invested in it.<br>On the other hand, the M5 is just too boy-racy IMHO. Honestly, looks just like a normal 5 series that some kid put a body kit on. Kinda like tuned up civics...hehe..<p>Seriously considering an M5 b4 i ordered the E55. Glad i stuck with the real car. =P<p>Also, if you guys have looked over at the bmwm5.com messageboards, seems like there are so many damn problems such as flaking, rattling, nav problems, wheel problems....<br>For me, if i pay 75k on a car, i expect it to be reliable.<p>What do you other guys think?<p>Cheers!!<p>Ryan<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget which is the real drivers' car...

First off, I don't know how an automatic can be considered sporting...but nonetheless...<p>Put both cars on the only racetrack that counts, the Nurburgring, and I think any performance questions will be answered beyond the shadow of a doubt.<p>Yes the E55 has good odds of taking an M5 at the stoplight drags but the machine-like consistancy of automatic shifting really cages up the soul of the car and doesn't allow proper driver/machine connection.<p>I don't doubt the fans of the E55 are car enthusiasts, it's just that they've either had recent left knee surgery or are at retirement age (55+)...nothing wrong with this, it's just that I think that the cars are marketed towards a different crowd.<p>Each car will have their own die-hard owners, and by MBZ and BMW keeping their cars exclusively with their respective transmissions, a nice line is drawn to separate the two.<p>We drive whatever car makes us happy...I can see both sides of this comparison...if you are hard-core driver then it's an M5 all the way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...........

in general its a slightly different customer profile. a bmw M customer is a person who really enjoys driving, the feel of the car etc. the person who will buy an amged merc wants a souped up merc- which is a great car to be a passenger in. they just want more ummpth in the acceleration. its a subtle but important difference. this is why the market for the m5 can get so heated- enthusiasts WANT the thing- while the e55 appeals to people who will have cooler heads on this because they are less emotional about the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts