Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the locations of the high-side and low-side fittings.

The M4 auxiliary fan is out of the car. I removed it and took the car to a shop with an electronic sniffer to check the condenser. They found no leaks. Then then used a refrigerant identifier to ensure that no stop-leak had been installed in the system, and recovered the refrigerant.

The eerie green glow on the low-side pipe is from a dye charge. It was a little can with a built-in 134a fitting. It was fine when I pressed it onto the fitting, but it pretty much sprayed dye all around the place when I pulled it off. I am not going to use such a device again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The order of operations here is the same whether you are removing the assembly, or making room for the fan to go in. I had bolted everything else up so I could drive it to the shop.

First, an 8mm bolt (13mm wrench) holds the horn and hood stop to the core support front member. Second, the horn and hood stop are removed. Leave the horn attached to its wires and place the stop off to the side.

Next are the three bolts holding the power steering cooler to the car. The third one is right in front of the windshield washer bottle. The green stuff there is a result of a very slow leak from the washer fluid bottle. It's not rust, but rather some sort of chemical accumulation. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but I'll clean it up before I work on the dryer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With the three screws removed, you can maneuver the power steering cooler out of the way. It has to move that far out to leave room for the motor to get in behind.

Next remove the core support. You do not need to separate the two parts of the core support by removing the other bolt in the third image; just remove the bolt at the bottom. Pull the clips from the radiator before you unbolt anything. Image five shows a representative of the four top bolts, two on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first image is the underside of the core support top. That's the hood release cable. Don't kink it. It will unclip from that plastic piece fairly easily. There is a clip on each side; unclip these and set the core support top piece aside.

The third image shows the rubber bottom mount for the fan assembly. The metal ears on the assembly must engage these. You also have to fit the fan around the high-side fitting, and ensure that the pipe is on the correct side of the plastic of the shroud. If you're on the wrong side, it won't go in. Don't force it; if it's aligned properly, it drops right in.

The two screws at the top of the auxiliary fan can now be installed to hold it into place. Then attach the connector and the covers, and you're done (I didn't get these pictures yet).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts