Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the great news my 2012 s550 with 58k on the clock seized up and will likely need replaced.

The car was running perfect. About 4 miles later, the engine just turns off at 50 mph. Fortunately, I pulled over without issue. The warning notification of "check oil at next refueling". I checked the oil with the dip stop and it was near full. Only 2k since the last only change in March. No obvious oil leaks either. The dealer also confirmed the oil level was fine. After checking the electric and codes, the dealer attempted to crank the engine by hand. It was locked up tight.

I have an extented warranty that is exclusionary, so as long as they can't blame this on me, I'm covered. Nevertheless, I hate dealing with this situation. No warranty company is ever excited to pay out. The dealer is in the process of a tearing down the engine to determine the cause. Somehow this is a 15 hour job. In the meantime, I'm trying to think how could this happen. Based on the oil level being within spec and clean (fresh and no metal flakes). their head mechanic thinks the oil pump might have failed. Would that not throw a code??

Is there any therotical way the dip stick could be inaccurate?
What else could have cause this?
Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I expect to hear something by late Thursday, but appreciate any thoughts you all might have.

Thanks in advance.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Overfilling the oil so that it cavitates (introducing air bubbles at the rings, where there is supposed to be oil) can cause it - but if the quantity was correct, that is not likely.

We will be very interested when the cause is determined. Please let us know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do we know what parameters trigger the "check engine oil at next refueling" message? From reading the manual, I believe it is triggered when the oil level is low.

Is this sensor known to fail often? Maybe it was a false positive?

Is there anything that could cause the dip stick to be inaccurate?

Still nothing from the dealer. Hopefully I will hear something at lunch time tomorrow.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
This may not help much, but it anwsers some of the questions - https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w251-r-class/1445760-check-oil-next-refueling-message-when.html

Similar problems have been reported in some other models as well. Yours is the first report I have seen for the W221.

If the dipstick is original to your car, it is most likely accurate if you have used it in accordance with the owners manual instructions. Temperature of the oil can be a factor, as well as whether the engine has run recently.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm am waiting on more exact details, but they found what appears to be water in the motor oil. The notes in the system state they found, "a white milky substance, appears to be water, foamy". Due to the "water" in the oil, 3 bearings rods were thrown. $60k for a new engine. $15k for a used engine.

As to be expected, my extended warranty company is trying to get out of it. They said there was water ingestion and that is not covered. I have requested documentation to what exactly they mean by water ingestion. Water ingestion is what happens when a engine is flooded in a river.

Without more analysis, I can't say what the white milky substance is. My assumption is it is oil mixing with the coolant. I can't think of any way water could get into the engine. I'm waiting on the warranty company to provide me detailed documentation to why the claim is being denied.

I'm off to look for an attorney...

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,757 Posts
That is truly awful news. :( When your post mentioned water ingestion I thought of one other case on a modern Mercedes where I had heard of this happening. Take a look at this guy's video;

Was it raining/wet/etc. when you had the problem? I didn't see any indication of that in the original post.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been as dry as a bone here in Utah. Last time it was in any rain was April.

Wow, I watched that video. That's really horrible. Atleast I have someone to take to court.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,757 Posts
It has been as dry as a bone here in Utah. Last time it was in any rain was April.

Wow, I watched that video. That's really horrible. Atleast I have someone to take to court.
That was my hope, it really does take a lot of rain to soak one of these engines, but when it does all the little aluminum bits fold like a lawn chair.

Wishing you the best outcome possible!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Since it has been dry where you live, your surmise that it is coolant in the oil is probably correct; the cause may be from a failed head gasket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the warranty company today. My claim is being denied due to contamination in the engine oil. Although no one knows for sure what it is. It could be coolant or water. They pointed out per the contract that failures cause by contamination are not covered. My argument is the contamination is not what cause the failure. I think it is a blown head gasket that caused the contamination. I definitely need an attorney to interpret this contract.

I'm a little frustrated with the dealer. I still have yet to get any specific details to what exactly they found. I'm meeting with them on monday.

What a mess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw pictures of the oil pan today. It appears to be water. I also examined the engine oil sample. The mechanic said it looked like water to him, but I am unsure. It could be. We are sending the oil off for analysis at some lab in Salt Lake City.

In some better news, I contacted my auto insurance company, Progressive and they said if it was water, it seems likely it would be covered. I was sorta taken back by that. I was thinking did she really mean to say something so positive towards the customer? I was expecting someone much less helpful. Nevertheless, we shall see.

If it was water, this is absolutely ridiculous. Could there have been water in the gas? I just can't believe condensation could have caused an engine to fail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The same dealership that it is located at now. It was done at 55k on March 3rd this year. If they had done something incorrect, I would have expected it to have failed prior to now. It now had 58k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
BenjaminSimon
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing