Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230S
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2006 C230S V6. There is a roaring sound which seems to come from below the engine at start up, and goes away after about a minute. The sound does not seem to be coming from the secondary air pump, but below the engine. A rumble similar to a hole in the exhaust, but it is only present at start up and goes away quickly. All theories are appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,666 Posts
To rule out secondary air pump, unplug it. A bad pump will sound like a loud hair dryer/jet engine.

·
Registered
2006 C230S
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the exit hose from the pump off of the filter housing and it is pumping air. But maybe the pump is working but the motor is going bad and resonating down the exhaust pipe. I can hear the noise at the tail-pipe exit.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,666 Posts
I pulled the exit hose from the pump off of the filter housing and it is pumping air. But maybe the pump is working but the motor is going bad and resonating down the exhaust pipe. I can hear the noise at the tail-pipe exit.
When I said to unplug it, I was referring to the electrical connection. If the noise goes away, it's the pump.

Someone posted a thread stating the noise was caused by dirt collecting on the impeller. He repaired his by disassembling and cleaning it. I replaced mine with a Pick and Pull part for $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts