Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
61 404.1, going through the basics to get it breathing fire again after it has sat for some time. It's leaking off the front of the motor. My initial guess is water pump or seals in that area. Only started today after slowly spinning the engine over a couple times. I wanted other opinions or things to check out before I start ordering a shopping list of parts.

Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to look at it closer.

What are common points for this engine to leak fluid off the front?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
404.0 Doka, 404.1 resto-mod
1,080 Posts
Coolant passages, hoses, and water pump... Go take a look at the one sitting on the floor about 50 feet from you!

Did you check to make sure it wasn't coming from the overflow tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was running against the block. Haven't ruled out hoses, haven't double checked the water pump, but it is not the overflow tank, which runs out of a tube right next to the passenger fender well/ side of the engine bay.

Once I get out of the clown suit I'll be able to get a better look at it. I might need to spin the motor over again, which seemed to rouse the problem last time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely coming from the water pump. You can see a bit of coolant that dripped onto the balancer in this picture.

Looks like gasket 79 in the drawing here
Expedition Imports Corporation Cooling System

Good thing I have a hard dome! I drilled my head on the cherry picker in the shop after getting a look at Kyle's M180 for a better idea! Luckily there isn't much drain to bamage up there.

question now is, RTV or gasket? Any pointers on how to go about tearing it apart?

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
Get a new gasket, or make one, and use a quality sealer like Ultra Black.

Taking it apart is pretty simple, just the three bolts in the front of the pulleys to remove the pulleys, and then the 5 bolts that attach the water pump to the housing. (You can see 2 of the 5 bolts in your picture.) You shouldn't need to remove the housing unless your leak is between the housing and the engine.

You might already know this, but if you feel like you need to replace the water pump, you can get the original unit or a sealed unit which doesn't have fill/drain plugs in it that require servicing.

·
Registered
1957 404 FireMog
184 Posts
As a side note, I can't remove the fan without removing the radiator, or at least moving it forward in my 404 hard cab. There's just not enough room. If your fan has a fill plug in the hub then its bearing is in an oil bath which you will empty when you remove it. Easy enough to refill once you have reinstalled the fan but remove the fill plug slowly and put some penetrating oil on it so you don't strip the threads in the aluminum.

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking it apart is pretty simple, just the three bolts in the front of the pulleys to remove the pulleys, and then the 5 bolts that attach the water pump to the housing. (You can see 2 of the 5 bolts in your picture.) You shouldn't need to remove the housing unless your leak is between the housing and the engine.
Unfortunately, it feels like the two halves of the pump are epoxied or brazed together. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong! Yes, all 5 bolts are out of the housing.

Time for some heat and a bfh or pipe wrench?

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
Some solid 'taps' with a dead blow should do it. If you don't have a dead blow, use a piece of wood and a hammer, hitting around what you can get to around the perimeter of the pump. There always seems to be some heavy duty goo used as a sealer in between the pump and the housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts