Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came across some pictures of the v12 with the oil cooler issue! the long metal plate in the middle is the oil cooler plate they take out to put in new o-rings in and what not which sits in between the cylinder heads, i thought some of you would enjoy these pictures. fyi, this engine was in w220 sclass and w215 cl 600's before the twin turbo engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
, 2012 S600L designo, 2003 W211 220 CDI
226 Posts
I am curious, I hear this is a very expensive fix to do, some have said engine out job. from the pics it does not look that tough. intakes off, rocker covers off, heads off to gain access. ok probably a full days work for an experianced MB tech but even so not that costly

or am I missing something?

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey steve , from what i know they leave the engine in the car and remove the intake manifold and cylinderheads , coilpacks,(top of engine) etc.. yes im sure when you do it the first time its really time consuming. but when MB techs do it over and over it becomes easier for them everytime. Its a shame Benz made this engine with such a big flaw, the bolts for that oil cooler plate sit right underneath the heads. part cost only $300-$400. labor is about $4,000 minimum. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Great start to the new year,

looks like my oil cooler seal has gone. started to notice some drips of oil a couple of weeks back. last 2 days its lost a litre. ran it to MB this afternoon. they took me into the workshop to show the oild is pouring out the top of the engine, underneath the throttle assembly etc. they dont know if its teh oild cooler until they get the throttle assembly and rockers off. its definatly coming from that area tho:(

is there anything else in that area that could leak and leak so much so fast, like a pipe. would like to have some small hope to cling onto tonight while waiting the news...anything else in that area that could leak?

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many miles on your car? not to be a downer but i think its the oil cooler plate. never know , could be something simpler...but these n/a v12's are super common with this issue. goodluck , let us know what the diagnosis is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yep, its looking that way to me too, I know its one of the many common fail points. from the history its never been done before, currently got 162K miles done

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow 162k on na v12 ... that's really good, hows it running.? It's hard to believe that its never been done be4 ... most people had oil coolers leaking at 50-60k some even be4 that . Goodluck Steve keep us updated .

·
Registered
226 Posts
She runs really sweet. she has full history and on the engine side etc in its life its had

oxygen sensors
2 coil packs (in past 30K miles)
both exhausts inc cats replaced @ 80K miles

and thats it on the engine, its had all the usual other stuff done tho, ABC, AC compressor etc. I just had all the brakes done all round.

tempting fate the only other thing thats on the W220 known issues is the gearbox park release plastic lock, but thanks to the forum here when I goes I can do that myself. i could do the oil cooler as well following this, but...

a: its freezing outside and i dont have a dry place
B: I would probably have to buy a new tool set!

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:confused: it would be a hard job to do at home! here is a link for parts.com oil cooler plate is $303 , i think your in the uk ..but as a reference check it out. Mercedes-Benz S Parts - Parts.com Class&year=2002&graphicID=F336067&callout=45&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0
goodluck steve , keep us updated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good news!, MB found a main breather pipe badly split and another on its way out. So they are replacing all the breathers. Obviously they wont know for sure thats the main cause until its all back together but they are 90% sure thats where its come from

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is good news! i hope they dont come back with the dreaded oil cooler issue. if you dont mind me asking whats the damage so far?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i hope so too!, for at least another year anyway. would like to get another 18 months from her before I trade in for either a TT version or a 221

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
221 would be nice! i still think the 220 is a very nice and classy car... either way ..you'll love the v12tt. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
bad news...went for a good drive today, bad leak is back. looks like it will be the oil cooler then :(

the hose fix was £900, 200 of that parts, the rest labor as the inlet manifold, throttle etc all have to come off. I know the oil cooler is going to be horrendously expensive so i am going to push that they dont charge me the inlet manofold removal and throttle assembly costs again.

trouble is I am off to teh airport tommorrow, going to have to carry somne oild with me just in case!

I use a W221, when I am in Hong kong every month. i also prefer the W220 tho. i just have to keep an eye out for a good TT, as soon as one comes up I will sell this one. thats why i need to get it fixed. I want a dark colour TT factory spec (so added bling or fake AMG badges!) cream napper interior.

I am not choosey! honest!

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's bad news Steve :confused: , at least you won't have the oil cooler issue with the TT . Your car being at 162k has lasted , which is good! I think if Mercedes would have designed a better oil cooler or fixed this issue , I'm sure the na v12 would have been a good motor . I think all na and tt v12s have coil pack issues. Separate coil pack per cylinder would have been nice. Anyways goodluck Steve keep updating on how it goes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
well, I finally got it done. had to drive back from the airport to home and it used 3 litres of oil in 100 miles..or should i say it has blown that out over the windscreen, under the car etc.

anyway, was the oil cooler. while the main dealer was in there I had then replace the hydraulic tappets , S belt, hoses etc and engine mounts. total cost.........£3900.00! (approx $6000,00 US)

anyway now my S600 has had in effect almost a full top end rebuild with new coolers, coil packs etc all in the past 20K miles. should be good for at least another 80K before major expence as its also had new AC system, ABC, brakes all round. but....now is the time to sell, while she is 100% she is going up for sale when i get back to UK next time. have my eyes on a forum members S600TT or a W221 lwb

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve that's good to hear! Your cars ready to go for a while now...your gonna drive it or just get rid of it ? TT would be nice :D. Anyways with all that work done it wouldn't hurt to keep it. Let us know if you get a new car ... post pics too , Goodluck !

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz S600 1995 Mazda Rx-7 (20B) 1994 BMW 840CI
18 Posts
Has anybody ever thought to run a remote oil cooler?

From the little amount of digging, the oil cooler seems to be the M137's weak link.

It seems like it could be a realitivly easy fix, if someone were to be okay with an aftermarket (non OEM) solution.

I wouldn't want to replace a 5K-7K problem, with the exact same mechanical approach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts