Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CL500
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been reading about the tee connector for the cooling system being a proactively replaced part. I've found lots of references on the M120 engine, but not as many on the M119 and most of the posts related to the M119 seem to be for earlier generation W140's.

My questions are, should this part be replaced proactively on a 1999, and if so, is this the correct part that I have found in EPC?

Thanks in advance
Oliver

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
1,014 Posts
Coupes and sedans, at least for the V12, appear to be different. Here is is some discussion about the TT we had about 3 months ago:

The plastic TT-part itself is the same, it is the hoses that come out it are different.
Of course you find a lot of discussions on the V12, because the job is difficult (very little room).
On a V8 and especially on I6, it should be a walk in the park

But, as mentioned in the thread I quotes, only genuine MB parts should be used.
If radiator, fan clutch, thermostat are all original, they may also need attention.

Good luck

·
Registered
1999 CL500
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm going to order it from the dealer. I am not sure when the coolant was last changed so I thought I would get this done at the same time.

I'll ask them to check the fan and radiator at the same time.

It was very hot here over the last few days, approx 100f with humidity. The car temperature seems good and I hear the fan kick in when I am stationary so that's good.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,875 Posts
Just a thought before you do, on both my W140;s I have replaced it but with the aluminum ones you can get from a scrap yard. Best in expensive investment I ever made - period - as it can now never fail.

FYI - also one of the reasons those hoses fail is because the engine mounts get compressed...

·
Registered
1999 CL500
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. The engine mounts and transmission mount are actually on my list. I don't know if/when they have ever been done and I do get a very minor vibration at idle.

I haven't had much luck finding anyone parting out W140's up here in Canada but I will keep looking.

Thanks
Oliver

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Oliver, phone the junk yard in Phoenix. They can send you one. I can't recall the name of the one I was in when I was last in AZ, but they had like 8 W140's. It's the well known one on the south side of Phoenix. Just phone a few yards in Phoenix and someone will tell you the name of the well known one. Also, maybe DM MAVA, he may have 1 or 2...

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
3,105 Posts
Oliverp, I bought a '97 CL600 about 4 years ago. The very first task was to change out the "tee". I ordered out a new one ALONG with the short rubber tubes that were terribly worn. Just out of curiosity I put the "tee" in a vise and whaled the $hit out of it with a ball peen hammer. NOT A DENT. Apparently they changed formulation on the plastic. However, the hoses were definitely toast! 🙃

·
Registered
1999 CL500
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Anziani
Thanks for the info. I am going to replace the tee connection and the hose asap. I am just trying to find the right part number for both. I will email the dealer and check with them.
Thanks
Ollie

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I love Anziani but I'm sticking with metal EVERY TIME. And they cost nothing, except the time to find them or send a DM.

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
796 Posts
I change that firewall T as a part of my regular maintenance, every 5 years or so.

A couple of years ago I ordered almost all the rest of the coolant hoses, as preventive maintenance. Let me see if I recall the ones I did,... there is a T in front of the engine, part of it goes under the top rad support to the rad itself, + the 2 small coolant hoses near the firewall by the cyl head, the 2 hoses right by the water pump and of course the 2 large upper and lower rad hoses and coolant hoses going to the washer reservoir, and a long hose below the reservoir. I also got the 5 that go in/out of the heater duovalve, just haven't had a chance to change those yet.

·
Registered
2001 E 430; 1995 S500
745 Posts
Do any of you guys know of a yard (or yardS) in the Dallas, Texas, area which might have several some W140s available for parts? Thanks.
James

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.0 Auto
62 Posts
Can anyone confirm if right hand drive M119s have this heater tee? I'm having trouble identifying it in the parts catalogue which makes me think it is left hand drive only. Would be grateful if someone could confirm either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts