Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Look like equal length headers to me. I haven't seen these before.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,809 Posts
Would be much better than tri-y's or the crude AMG headers. If these clear the steering box and engine bay obstructions, nice item to have for best performance. Wonder if the A/C lines might interfere or any other non-racing engine bay items.

Al

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Nice. I wonder if they're off a real SLC rally car or just designed for them... and if the fact that they're meant for an SLC would affect fitment onto a 126.

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
Agreed, I don't believe they would clear the steering box if they were in fact from an SLC.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
They are equal length headers and they do not look like they would clear a W126 SB. Tom wants to make a set of those for my car after we do the ignition.

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Equal length headers ensure maximum torque at a given rpm, but are not ideal below and above that rpm. It's good on a track or on a rallye course with a close ratio transmission allowing the engine to remain as close as possible to that rpm range but not ideal on open road use where a much broader rpm range is needed. This is why MB and AMG came with the tri-Y system as designed. There is a loss of maximum torque but it is spread over a much wider rpm range making the car easier to drive, and faster on an open road in the end, unless one constantly drives as if on a rallye course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts