Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 230S, 1991 560SEL
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a Koenig Twin Turbo Kit for my 560SEL. Does anyone have any pictures of their twin-turbo w126? What else would need to be done to get this installed? How much is it worth? In order to afford this I would need to sell my fintail, is it worth it? How much HP will there be after this kit? For reference, I have already installed Tri-Y's (which wouldn't work with the turbskies).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seen the ad on Kleinanzeigen. €4500 seems like a lot of money to me. Don’t think that you can valuate it, it’s more what you think it’s worth for yourself.
Have no experience with such a kit, the oil system needs to be altered to feed the turbos with oil, I presume.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,796 Posts
...there's another forum member here with a W126 , based I think in Belgium, that has a turbocharged M117 ...but I'm having "senior moments" as to his name :unsure: Ihope other forum members would chime in.

MoosterNL is correct IMHO, "it’s more what you think it’s worth for yourself. " ... but if It were me, I'd "pull the trigger on the system" but will do a lot of research prior to installing the system...maybe add some "modern/updated" mods but still keeping it reliable.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
Its not as easy as adding turbos you will need an oil inlet and outlet, you will need to be able to adjust fuelling for more fuel and the engine needs to be at a lower compression ratio so you can run the boost or else you rub the risk of damaging the engine very quickly

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
423 Posts
This may be an advantage that the detuned NA spec engine has, which is lower compression. But is it low enough? IDK.

Another thing is you may want to intercool those suckers, which may be an easy task for some.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,234 Posts
100 percent you should do it..

have u talked to henriq at elbe engineering who has his own version of a tt kit

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
some engine are hi comp even the slightly lower compression engine you would probably be running low boost as running ti hi a boost will cause damage to the engine
yes you would definitely need to plumb in an intercooler

·
Registered
420SEL
1,212 Posts
Let me chime in.

With added horsepower, you will quickly upset the balance between brakes and suspension.
But let’s say you do upgrade the suspension and brakes and make all the necessary modifications for the engine, fuel delivery, cooling, ignition, you end up with a 400 hp w126 that is just as fast as any modern mid level car out there.

I’d rethink this project unless you have funds and ability to tackle it from beginning to the end with long term goals of having a completed product. Often times people give up half way or end up with a botched car on their hands.

There isn’t much aftermarket support for these cars, so lots of custom work will be needed and that doesn’t come cheap.

But even if everything is done and perfected, you end up with a heavy car with lots of horse power with slow steering. It just won’t be lots of fun.

Only thing it will do well is pull like a freight train from 20-120mph.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
yes agree not worth the hassle for 400hp and if its not done properly you will have a unreliable car that you will soon become fed up with if it keeps giving you problems
Proper way would be a full rebuilt forged engine, full efi, two gx3071r turbos, large intercooler, water injection bigger fuel pumps you prob then talking a 600-700hp engine, that be worth it but if you cant fabricate or work on the car yourself asking someone to do all the above would not be cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The one thing which I forgot to mention was the fact that we are talking about a heavy car with steering capabilities from the 80’s. Add a 400hp engine to this equation and I wouldn’t feel comfortable in it

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE (ASR) & W126 1991 300SE
86 Posts
I've got a better idea! Keep the fintail!!! I once saw a conversion that put a W126 500SE engine into a stock 220S Fintail. They had some issues with it, including having to change the rear diff, for one from a 600 Grosser. Apparently it ran quite well! Mind you, you'd definitely need a W111, as the engine bay would be too small in the W110 I think.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
172 Posts
I have to chime in with, there's nothing wrong with having a boat that pulls like a freight train from 20-120 MPH :D

It just sounds like an old American muscle car with more luxury and less right off the line. Still would be a super cool car.

Not being intentionally contrarian, just my 02

Pete

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,732 Posts
Ideally this would be fitted to a Koenig body car to make it a full Koenig twin turbo build . Fitting this to a Regular w126 will cause lots of expensive problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts