Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is a question has been asked a thousand times before. But,I've searched all through these forums and I've found many different answers. I am about to start the rebuild of my 1984 500sl's motor to seal some oil leaks and fix the exhaust smoking issue. I've been told that the motor is not the origional 117.962 and has been replaced by a 117.963. It has the Tri-y exhaust for a 107 motor ,without cats. It has no charcoal canister, no o2 sensors, no #3 port on the diagnostic connector, etc... I have little or no history on the car other than is was mostly a southwestwern car and was purchased in Germany and spent a year there before it came to the USA. So i have no idea why the motor was switched. It sat for 4 years before I bought the car and, I am at the last ( hopefully ) stage of the restore. My question is ... how do I determine which 117.963 motor this is ? I've heard that the 117.963 can be a euro, or a us or an amg ? What should I look for once the motor is open ? Is there something the motor serial # would tell me ? Is there any real difference or am I splitting hairs ? Thanks in advance for any advice..

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,808 Posts
The 117.963 is what I have in my 84 500SEL. My engine started as a stock 5.0 and was bored/stroked to 5.4 by AMG.

I would suspect the .962 and .963 are essentially the same engine - one used for the R107 and one used for the W126 - could be some slight differences in motor mounts or wiring harnesses or routing of lines.

If you have tri-y's, you may have something more than a stock 5.0. Are there any stickers on the top front of the valve covers? That is the quickest way to tell an AMG engine. This thread has pics of AMG sticker remains:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1494583-update-84-amg-sel-work.html

If no stickers, the next way to tell is to take off one of your valve covers and see if you have solid lifters and an AMG camshaft. See above thread for pics of an AMG stamped camshaft.

The above link also shows my engine serial # with the 5.4 stamped next to it.

I removed my charcoal cannister during restoration. My car also did not have O2 sensors or cats when it was federalized in 1984 - they had some mickey-mouse EGR tubing added that was useless and was removed.

Al

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Al,
The Motor is coming out this either later this week or early next week.
I'm going to take pictures of the process and post them. I'll have my mechanic look at your link because i don't have the skills to determine the type of lifters. But, like you, I was kind of thinking (and hoping) that
if the P.O. puy Tri-y's on the new motor. Perhaps there's more than meets the eye. As far as i can see there are no labels on the motor that indicate AMG. But, I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the help !
Jim

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Al,
Is there also a difference in the timing with your motor vs. stock? When I first noticed the motor smoke I had a fouled plug and my mechanic told me my timing was off 15 degrees. But, it ran fine up until the foueld plug..

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,808 Posts
Al,
Is there also a difference in the timing with your motor vs. stock? When I first noticed the motor smoke I had a fouled plug and my mechanic told me my timing was off 15 degrees. But, it ran fine up until the foueld plug..
I had an Atlanta indy shop do my engine work. His BW handle is jhodg5ck - Jonathan (he goes by Jono). Send him a note and ask about timing.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts