Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to JR for bringing this to my attention.

On another forum, an MB Dealer Tech just posted that MB has finally started an official Service Campaign/Recall to replace the harmonic balancer on the M112 and M113 (G500) engines produced from 1998 - 2001. This would include the G500's imported and sold by Europa International in Santa Fe. It could also include some early 2002 MBUSA G500's. If that balancer goes, it will tear up a good part of the front of the engine as it disintegrates.

The recall involves an inspection to see the part number on the installed balancer; and, if it is A.112.035.00.00 or A.112.035.06.00, it is to be replaced at No Charge, no matter what the mileage. If it has already been replaced, the customer - with proper documentation - is to be reimbursed.

Sounds like a call to Europa is in order for tomorrow. Thanks, JR, for the heads up on this.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
That seems huge- would I be SOL on getting my Puch badged M112 serviced under warranty? How much R+R is required to verify the balancer part #? Thanks,
M

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NewBuyer - 4/8/2005 5:05 AM

That seems huge- would I be SOL on getting my Puch badged M112 serviced under warranty? How much R+R is required to verify the balancer part #? Thanks,
M
The number given was somthing like 700,000 - enough so that MB is sending the recall letter in stages.

The P/N is stamped into the outer radius of the balancer along the back edge (behind the belt) as it's mounted on the engine. I just looked at my M113, and there's no way to see it from the top - even with a mirror. The number is also very small and could easily be obscured by any soil on the part.

It's going to require crawling underneath and rotating the engine until the P/N is on the bottom side. It's probably also going to require removal of the skid plate to see up there. A royal pita!

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
DUTCH - 4/8/2005 5:47 AM

NewBuyer - 4/8/2005 5:05 AM

M
The number given was somthing like 700,000 - enough so that MB is sending the recall letter in stages.

The P/N is stamped into the outer radius of the balancer along the back edge (behind the belt) as it's mounted on the engine. I just looked at my M113, and there's no way to see it from the top - even with a mirror. The number is also very small and could easily be obscured by any soil on the part.

It's going to require crawling underneath and rotating the engine until the P/N is on the bottom side. It's probably also going to require removal of the skid plate to see up there. A royal pita!
Can't they track it by VIN? Any idea how far into 2002 the recall goes?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mb230s - 4/8/2005 9:21 AM

Can't they track it by VIN? Any idea how far into 2002 the recall goes?
Yes, they can; but they have to inspect the vehicles from the specific VIN range to see which P/N is on the part.

Call MBUSA with your VIN to see if you're in.

·
Registered
02 G500
63 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Dutch and JR. What's next with these things! I'll be in the poor house when my warranty expires! My MBUSA 2002 was built in November 2001; should I contact the dealer? Thanks again gentleman.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
JamesG - 4/8/2005 11:18 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Dutch and JR. What's next with these things! I'll be in the poor house when my warranty expires! My MBUSA 2002 was built in November 2001; should I contact the dealer? Thanks again gentleman.
I'd call the dealer if I were you. I'm waiting for a call back. The reports I've read about the harmonic balancer going aren't pretty.

Get a new computer, cluster, door lock SAM, and window lift mechanisms while under warranty. You'll hardly ever need the warranty going forward. Be sure to politely complain about your down time and troubles. My warranty was upped to 100K at no cost. When the front axle needs attention I'll still be covered.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Campaign Number is: 2005020003, Dated April 2005

And no MBUSA G500's are included.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
RE: Campaign Number is: 2005020003, Dated April 2005

DUTCH - 4/8/2005 3:52 PM

And people are putting down '02-up G's?!! Engine KABOOM vs. window not working...hmmmm, tough choice.[:D]

Just kidding. Sorry i had to chime in.[;)]

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: Campaign Number is: 2005020003, Dated April 2005

saigonsmuggler - 4/8/2005 9:36 PM

DUTCH - 4/8/2005 3:52 PM

And people are putting down '02-up G's?!! Engine KABOOM vs. window not working...hmmmm, tough choice.[:D]

Just kidding. Sorry i had to chime in.[;)]
My posts are being edited by the powers to be.

·
Registered
02 G500
63 Posts
mb230s, That was funny.... I would say my real choice is Toyota Landcruiser or keeping my MBUSA product, what is the intelligent choice?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Thai, there's a valid point in there...

The engine and transmission are the kinds of items which are shared with other cars and should benefit from little improvements over time, and as one of the things which hasn't fundamentally changed from one you to the next, there is a valid arguement that 02 should be less likely to have such a problem than the 00 by virtue of 2 more years of exprerience by the manufacturer. Unless unfortunate cost savings were implemented which reduced reliability/performance, i would expect either the same or slightly improved reliablity out of the motor and tranny made two years later. This would be one reason to consider the value in the newer vehicle. But it is also for that reason that the older interior doesn't have problems associated with a new interior or the now automated transfer case. I did actually have a problem with my manual transferring from high to low range... when i was jerking the lever into low the other day i bashed my finger on my cup holder... Ouch that hurt. I think it would be cool to have all the nice interior trim items but keep manual things like diff lockers (which are push button in all 463) and transfer cases.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
RE: Thai, there's a valid point in there...

When off-roading, i can still survive if my LO range goes out...but can YOU make it out with a blown motor (but an apparently functioning LO range)??[;)] You can shift that LO range lever all you want, but it won't get you anywhere without a motor.[:p]

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
DUTCH - 4/7/2005 9:36 PM

On another forum, an MB Dealer Tech just posted that MB has finally started an official Service Campaign/Recall to replace the harmonic balancer on the M112 and M113 (G500) engines produced from 1998 - 2001
Is this something that NHTSA will post, or is this some voluntary action? If its is covering just the engine I may be in luck. (I didn't see anything about this on the government site.)
m

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts

So i'll be stuck in the snow with a blown motor and you'll be stuck at home because you had to turn around since it was pooring rain in you car... assuming you could get out of the driveway... or assuming you did make it out on the trip with us that your t-case doesn't fail in neutral at precisely the time my motor blows out of a sense of empathy for it's ailing silver buddy. THen we can both laugh and point fingers...

Saigon, My intent was to say that although there are some aspect of the truck which lend the old interiors to be more reliable, there are other parts of the truck, such as the matter concerning this recall which make the newest trucks more reliable by the very same token. That's fair isn't it? i swear you do the best job of negetively interpreting what i say... but i do see you're mostly joking, and chances are you're speaking more tongue in cheek than i realise. It's something i also tend to do which is hard to see over the internet.

Either way, i really need to inspect to make sure i don't have the faulty part becuase i REALLY, REALLY don't want to deal with that kind of damage, or lawyers to make europa pay. ... likewise i'm sure you'd never let me hear the end of it. Did i ever mention my fuel filter and pump died at about 40k miles?... how lame ehh?... feel free to bring that up at will.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts

ewalberg, i think that you're taking my replies in this thread too seriously. I am not sure how many "[:D][;)][:p][:)]" i have to use to show the humor in what i write. I was really just kidding.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Here is a nice picture of the old balancer and new balancer, just in case you have not found a picture:

http://www.pvgarage.com/id25.html

Here is another picture of where this balancer is on your engine so that you can check it out:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/M112.html

In addition, here is the description of why it is so important to have it replaced:

The harmonic balancer is essentially part of the crankshaft pulley. And since the belts that go around the crankshaft pulley run all of the car's accessories, without the harmonic balancer you'd have no air conditioning, no power steering, no alternator and no water pump. Plus, it does have a role in "balancing" the crankshaft. And without it, you can do damage to the crankshaft and the engine bearings.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

ewalberg - 4/10/2005 5:20 AM

So i'll be stuck in the snow with a blown motor and you'll be stuck at home because you had to turn around since it was pooring rain in you car... assuming you could get out of the driveway... or assuming you did make it out on the trip with us that your t-case doesn't fail in neutral at precisely the time my motor blows out of a sense of empathy for it's ailing silver buddy. THen we can both laugh and point fingers...

Saigon, My intent was to say that although there are some aspect of the truck which lend the old interiors to be more reliable, there are other parts of the truck, such as the matter concerning this recall which make the newest trucks more reliable by the very same token. That's fair isn't it? i swear you do the best job of negetively interpreting what i say... but i do see you're mostly joking, and chances are you're speaking more tongue in cheek than i realise. It's something i also tend to do which is hard to see over the internet.

Either way, i really need to inspect to make sure i don't have the faulty part becuase i REALLY, REALLY don't want to deal with that kind of damage, or lawyers to make europa pay. ... likewise i'm sure you'd never let me hear the end of it. Did i ever mention my fuel filter and pump died at about 40k miles?... how lame ehh?... feel free to bring that up at will.
Ewalberg - my compliments. I think you may be the only G500 owner here in the USA that purchased it from New Mexico that realizes the differences between models is a redesign (worldwide) and Europa and MBUSA had very little to do with either model. I agree, they shoved too much untested and unreliable garbage into these trucks WORLDWIDE with the 01 redesign that didn't hit the US shores until 02. Bugs are worked out over time, as myself and Marco can probably attest to. Stick enough 03, 04, and 05 parts in and my 02 is super reliable. I'm sure the previous generation of 463s had bugs and problems early on. My 1966 was having minor recalls and part redesigns many many years later. Thankfully Mercedes is still doing recalls like this. I bet a lot of automakers wouldn't even address this situation. The newest car effected is 4 years old now! It happens so infrequently I bet they could have swept it under the rug.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MB & Recalls

mb230s - 4/10/2005 12:00 PM

Thankfully Mercedes is still doing recalls like this. I bet a lot of automakers wouldn't even address this situation. The newest car effected is 4 years old now! It happens so infrequently I bet they could have swept it under the rug.
Actually, MB has known about the problem for some time. You can find 30+ pages of discussion about it on another forum. Only after MANY repairs has MB finally been backed far enough into a corner that they've relented to do something about it.

Witness the Class Action settlement on the early M112 engines due to motor oil problems. I don't think they wanted another one like that.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: MB & Recalls

DUTCH - 4/10/2005 11:43 AM

mb230s - 4/10/2005 12:00 PM

Thankfully Mercedes is still doing recalls like this. I bet a lot of automakers wouldn't even address this situation. The newest car effected is 4 years old now! It happens so infrequently I bet they could have swept it under the rug.
Actually, MB has known about the problem for some time. You can find 30+ pages of discussion about it on another forum. Only after MANY repairs has MB finally been backed far enough into a corner that they've relented to do something about it.

Witness the Class Action settlement on the early M112 engines due to motor oil problems. I don't think they wanted another one like that.
Wow - 30 pages of web discussion on a forum? That's the litmus test in my book.[}:)]

Most people have the smarts to get it fixed when the vibration gets really bad before the thing self destructs. 700,000 engines effected and very few have had the balancer destruct. I don't know anyone who has had the problem. My dealer only sees a couple a year that have torn apart the engine. I still think they could have hid the problem if they weren't looking out for their reputation. I'm glad MB is taking care of it the right way.

If you have a 107 chassis SL you can get the entire front subframe and all the associated rubber bits, bushings, etc, replaced free of charge! Assuming it hasn't been done previously. The subframe would crack after extended use. Many of these cars have been on the road for a long long time. Take one to a dealer today and they can check the VIN and perform the repair for free.

MB still cares, mistakes are made, they fix them. I think they are still the best in this respect. I'd buy an old high mileage MB, I wouldn't touch an old high mileage BMW with a ten foot pole. Oil problems in early to mid 90s BMWs are common after 70-80K miles - well outside of warranty. The difference is BMW has done very little to address the problem and the rebuilders make a fortune selling new engines with the problem fixed.

Will the recall effect AMG engines also?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts