Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E300TD
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten my E55T from Japan. It's still in the shop getting new tires, inspection, etc so I haven't even driven it yet. I stopped by to look it over, check condition of filters etc.

When I pulled off the front engine cover, I noticed a big empty space where something belonged, at the top front of the engine. Research leads me to believe this is the air pump.

It's not clear to me:

1) what this does. It shows up on parts diagrams under emissions components, so I assume it's something to do with EGR?
2) Why it was removed, or if it was ever there (market specific?)
3) what the consequence of not having it.

Can anyone help clear this up? I hope it's not related to the intake flaps, or will lead to other issues. I've only had the car idling, and there *seems* to be the odd slight miss, which I attribute to old plugs, wires, coils etc (new on the way). That being said, I've never owned an M113 car to compare to, only M119.

·
Registered
1998 E300TD
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz CLK 500
2 Posts
Hey, it's good you brought up this topic. The electronic motor, is the thing that pumps air into your exhaust system, to complete the burning process to get your cat's warmed up quicker. It is connected with your EGR valves. EGR valves return the exhaust fumes for that double burne back into your manifold, so the care is more greener. So unless you are worried that green peace might come nocking on your front door, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's actually a tuning mod, that is well practiced. considering you are talking about an e55 i suppose the cats have been removed too?together with this system?

I am planing to get this removed aswell, as the egr system clogs up your intake manifold which causes the shakes on idle. The only way to go about it is to remove your intake manifold and clean it up, but its not an easy process. :)

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
919 Posts
I think the Japanese are smart enough to understand that the inefficiencies, cost and emissions caused by manufacturing, maintaining and driving around the secondary air injection system are more that this system abates.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
, as the egr system clogs up your intake manifold which causes the shakes on idle. The only way to go about it is to remove your intake manifold and clean it up, but its not an easy process. :)
It is the other way around here in the USA(Or in the Union of California).

WHEN the EGR clogs-up the engine runs more true(With more H.P :nerd) as the exhaust gases are not mixing with the intake air. Those of you driving the W124's and the 96 E320 with M140 the EGR is vacuum controlled, and one can stick a "BB" in the vacuum line at the egr to keep the EGR from opening, and letting the exhaust in :devil:devil. Ahhhh, common practice in the 70's and 80's on the domestic cars, so the ideal situation is to have those EGR ports(or pipe) plugged. :grin

Martin

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry to chime in, Japanese emission standards are much lower than American and Canadian. So any Japanese spec car will fly through Canadian test. There emissions are tested at about 60kph thus the engines are much colder. Where Jspecs cars may fail is there lack of several converters. But in Canada that's not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz CLK 500
2 Posts
You are right about the no egr = more power :)) But they do say it becomes less fuel efficient.. My clk is 2002, and it never had a manifold cleaned so planing on doing a manifold clean this week, will try to post some pics, of what is inside that thing. Obvious cause is the return of the exhaust gases, i seem to have lost power, throttle response, and getting the shakes on idle. I really want to get rid of the whole egr system as, it only cloggs up the manifold and engine. Theres a few threads on how the guys tackle this issue, with detailed pictures, on removing and cleaning the manifold, but it seems no one actually decided to remove the whole thing. I think for older cars its a must to remove the system and chuck it in a waste bucket, as all sorts of issues can arise from the exhaust gases pumping in to manifold... So wish me luck with it guys :) will try to update as I progress with the cleaning and removal. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to permanently delete the air pump since mine failed, but does anybody know if it's possible to avoid a check engine light when the pump isn't installed? If not, I'll have to replace the pump. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,777 Posts
It is much cheaper to replace the air pump, if that is the problem. There is no easy way to block the air injection test to take place or fool the detection system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts