Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,405 Posts
Aaaaah, you should've started with that in the original post. Then yes, green color with losing coolant is a sign. Have you been able to verify the presence of coolant in the cylinder 5?

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
570 Posts
Does a compression test count as a more thorough test? I will also look for bubbles in my coolant tank.

The reason why the key turn cranking will not work well is due to tip start limitation of crank time.
What does "tip start limitation" mean?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,015 Posts
The tip start is when you turn the key to crank the engine, you let the key go back to "run" position, and you do not need to keep the key in "start" till the car starts. As soon as you turn the key to "start" the ECU will recognize this, and starts cranking the engine till the required rpm (100) is reached or a timeout period. The timeout period is 5 seconds for a coolant temp of 80 degrees C and 10 seconds for a cool engine.

With direct control through the starter relay contacts with your remote starter thingy, you have much better control over the cranking, and it is done with the fuel injectors and the ignition off, as the ECU is not even powered up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aaaaah, you should've started with that in the original post. Then yes, green color with losing coolant is a sign. Have you been able to verify the presence of coolant in the cylinder 5?
no I didnt do any further troubleshooting, as I felt there was no need to further investigate if there was already proof of a leaking head gasket.

I dont know how long I will keep this wagon so I ended up just doing a block seal; I added some k seal to the cooling system and the apparently the leak stopped. car runs MUCH smoother and the code cleared and hasn't come back since. no loss of coolant or anything now

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
570 Posts
no loss of coolant or anything now
How much coolant were you loosing before the fix? Can you estimate a volume over a time period?

In five months (Apr-July), I had to add 0.4 quarts. In the next three months (Aug-Nov), I had to add 0.3 quarts. It's been rough idling that whole time, but the misfires CEL only started in Nov. Is that a significant loss?

How can you see bubbles (exhaust) in the coolant tank as the car runs when the tank is black and can't be opened due to pressure? I would like to try this easy diagnostic step.

Please do post back if the sealer fails and the head gasket starts leaking again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How much coolant were you loosing before the fix? Can you estimate a volume over a time period?

In five months (Apr-July), I had to add 0.4 quarts. In the next three months (Aug-Nov), I had to add 0.3 quarts. It's been rough idling that whole time, but the misfires CEL only started in Nov. Is that a significant loss?

How can you see bubbles (exhaust) in the coolant tank as the car runs when the tank is black and can't be opened due to pressure? I would like to try this easy diagnostic step.

Please do post back if the sealer fails and the head gasket starts leaking again.
to be honest mine wasnt leaking too much. I have only had the car for less than 1 month but I've added maybe 1 whole gallon, then again the car was low on coolant when I got it. wasnt a real noticeable leak.

you wont see the bubbles in the coolant tank there was a tester that they used that bubbled up. also you CAN open the coolant tank while it's running you just have to do so slowly. I've done it numerous times and nothing sprayed out. just dont do so when it's hot.

I began to suspect a head gasket leak when I noticed one day that the exhaust smelled sort of funny. thats when I took it to the shop.

its almost the middle of winter and I am not trying to change a head gasket around the holidays so I just added some k seal. I drained off some coolant and added it in and since then the car has run much smoother and the misfire code never came back.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
570 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with K Seal. Are you doing the head gasket yourself? What instructions would you use? I did the valve cover gaskets myself (took forever) and the head gasket is only one more layer down. I'm sure it's not that simple.

Could a head gasket get damaged by running the engine with too much oil?

After the dealership changed my oil in 6/18, it was so overfilled that there was "mayo" under the oil cap. I removed 0.5 quarts to lower it to "max" on the dipstick. I ran it overfilled for six months. In 6/19, they overfilled it again, but I removed the 0.4 quart extra after a month (and there was no "mayo" under the oil cap).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for sharing your experience with K Seal. Are you doing the head gasket yourself? What instructions would you use? I did the valve cover gaskets myself (took forever) and the head gasket is only one more layer down. I'm sure it's not that simple.

Could a head gasket get damaged by running the engine with too much oil?

After the dealership changed my oil in 6/18, it was so overfilled that there was "mayo" under the oil cap. I removed 0.5 quarts to lower it to "max" on the dipstick. I ran it overfilled for six months. In 6/19, they overfilled it again, but I removed the 0.4 quart extra after a month (and there was no "mayo" under the oil cap).
I dont have any plans on changing the head gasket. from what I hear the head gaskets are pretty solid so I don't think itll be an issue anymore. its run fine so far still no check engine light. if it does come back I'll probably discard the car to be honest. being that this car has 239k I think it's due for head gaskets any way. I know alot of people say these dont blow head gaskets but then again it's also a mercedes, and head gaskets are common on 90s benzes haha

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
905 Posts
Coils, Coils, Coils !

This one drove me crazy, but found out it was a bad coil. while I was at it I replaced all colis, plugs and wires. WOW the car hasent run this good in 10 years!

B

21 - 29 of 29 Posts