Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just learn how to remove the breather cover on top of the Valve cover on the left side. I will give it a try over the weekend. I notice the oil filler neck (sitting on top of the breather cover) is also leaking.

Does anyone know how to remove the oil filler neck? Here's the diagram captured from EPC.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,575 Posts
You mean the plastic extension on top of the valve cover? I believe there is one bolt holding it in place, then you twist it 90-degrees and remove it - it's the exact same way the oil filler cap itself attaches.

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Item 35 on the diagram.

You mean the plastic extension on top of the valve cover? I believe there is one bolt holding it in place, then you twist it 90-degrees and remove it - it's the exact same way the oil filler cap itself attaches.

·
20,575 Posts
Actually, I am trying to remember removing this - there might not have be a bolt - it might just be a plastic tab keeping it from rotating.

Reactions: Clvannoy1

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally dissassembled it over the past weekend. Yes, there is one bolt holding a little metal bar in which locking the engine oil filler neck in place.

Don't know why the EPC does not indicate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
oil filler neck

CLK320 04, plastic oil filler neck on the driver side valve cover, gasket replacement. To take that neck off, turn counter-clock 90-degrees and lift? Mine moves 1/4 inch or about 20 degree only and doesn't come off. Is there a hidden screw to loose? Any special tool? I read other posters where it is said you only can remove it from inside the valve cover. Is this correct?

Here is a pic found in the Internet:

Attachments

·
20,575 Posts
I'll try to check the C240 when I get a chance, but I am fairly certain this does not need the head cover removed to access.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil filler neck removal:

Lift up neck until it clears on right stop detent then turn counter clockwise 90 degrees-filler neck should come out,to reinstall align tab underneath turn clockwise lift up until past detent (stop) let go then turn little to left until it wont turn as if something is stoppingthe filler neck from turning to left or you can use screwdriver to pry filler neck high enough to pass thru detent/stop then turn counter clockwise to remove-and vice verza to install.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,264 Posts
Have one in my hand (breather cover removed)

No way I can see (at least with new gasket in place) to rotate neck CCW for removal if only access is from exterior. Too bad the screw that holds the clamp inside can't be slackened from outside.

·
Registered
2002 ML500 / 2002 CL500
40 Posts
Have one in my hand (breather cover removed)

No way I can see (at least with new gasket in place) to rotate neck CCW for removal if only access is from exterior. Too bad the screw that holds the clamp inside can't be slackened from outside.
you do not have to remove valve cover to change oil filler cap on m113 do as advised please and lift filler neck up and over the tab that is stoping it from turning then you’ll be able to finish spinning it out......removed my whole valve cover and then had to lift crank case breather cover just to see for myself after reading your post......please dont make this same mistake as I and waste valuable time. infinite blessings to all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts