Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W202 C220 Elegance '95
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my C220 a few months ago as a first car.
2 weeks later one of the camshafts snapped.
Ended up replacing the motor(and most of the electrics such as the wiring harness) as it was cheaper than replacing the valves etc.
The motor had done over 260,000 k's but i thought it would have lasted longer being a benz, however I don't know how it was driven previously.

Was wondering if the camshaft failing was a common issue due to the hydrollic tensioner on the M111 engine.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
Has this motor been sitting in the garage with the valve cover off?? It might be unrelated, but that head looks it hasn't had oil in it, ever...

·
Registered
W202 C220 Elegance '95
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea the motor had been sitting in the shed uncovered for about a month when that photo was taken. Decided to replace the motor instead of fix the valves etc as the motor had already done 250,000+ k's. This photo was just to show what actually broke. Decided to cover up the engine and keep it for spares.

·
Registered
W202 C220 Elegance '95
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its been a wile so i may be breaking the no reply after 3 months rule but i have some important info

I've had a few problems since i replaced the engine:
Wiring loom was an issue with the replacement motor as the old 1 was used which kind of crumbled away when it was plugged in. Supposedly the wiring looms LOVE to soak up any moisture which leads to failure. So when detailing the engine DO NOT PRESSURE WASH!
Only just replaced the rear main seal last month. Finally got sick of putting in a litre of oil in the motor every 1000kms.
Supposedly MB did an update on the rear seal. Before you had to buy the seal+seal housing every time but after update you only replace the seal HOWEVER if you haven't had it updated you'll have to by the new housing too. Just a heads up as it took my parts guy to fond out.

I did find out that the camshaft failure can be due to the hydraulic tensioner, so under certain circumstances-ie gear kick down when the rpms jump it tensions too much and causes fatigue in the camshaft.

What did you end up doing with yours blk230?

And currently my 202 is 3 hours away thanks to the dreaded seizing of the ignition lock on a road trip. And its staying there until I can find 600 to pay for it, its been ready to be picked up for a month lol!

Its also started roll back on hills when in drive as the auto has started to slip. HORAY!

Thank goodness i bought a cheap '88 W124 230E as a spare car. Gutless but starts first time every-time even when ive left it sitting for a few months! Am thinking of selling both and betting a 300E as they actually do something when you put the foot down.With M103 3.0L motor of course.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
I've been dealing with my girlfriend's '95 C200, so many problems... It's a hand-me-down from the parents, but would have been better & cheaper to sell it for scrap and buy another. The original engine blew a piston through the head at around 300,000kms after sitting parked for a month then driven on the highway. The replacement engine was a South African version which didn't need expensive coding, doesn't use a MAF sensor. The parents bought a BMW then, and and probably since the engine was changed, the SRS, ABS, A/C haven't worked since. Now remote locking no longer works and the electronic throttle was playing up $$$! The harness cost $1000 to have rebuilt by an auto-electrician since it was a bit of a hybrid setup and a replacement one would not suit the new engine. I re-wired the throttle actuator just now, and am working on the ABS (high pressure return pump relay), locking and SRS now. So basically, all have been annoying electrical issues. Also had to re-solder the flasher relay and replace indicator stalk. The car's done over 400,000kms, which is pretty good, so I guess I can't really complain too much. It's just that electrical issues are so annoying! All the hardware is there, waiting for the right signal to work. My W126 on the other hand, has hardy any electronically controlled systems to fail (mechanical injection), which keeps it going even if some things break.

The C200 is quite a good car to drive, quick, but a bit too much body roll when loaded up - new dampers might help.

The heat and environmental exposure is what kills the wiring, but moisture probably doesn't help either. Even sections that have been totally encased are still toast. BE CAREFUL! If the coil 12v high current wires short then you'll blow your ECU transistor(s) and then you'll be screwed. At least replace these, it's easy enough to do. Our car had a ghetto fix like this for a time, the only other big problem was the injector wires would sometimes short-circuit and cause a miss. Again, you can use some ingenuity to fix this. A lot of the connectors can be undone, but some can't. If you have the time and patience to re-wire you could do yourself or pay to have someone else do it rather than buy $1400 replacement harness. There's a guy who rebuilds these in the US, he's on the forums here, on the 'rebuilding your engine harness' thread, who can do it for about $350 from memory. If you want new, MB of Sydney is actually the cheapest @ around 1.4k. They absorb a lot of the cost for you apparently, which is why it's not $3k. (It's just wires though! WTF)

FYI my parents have a spare W201 they are storing that was my grandmother's and the camshaft just broke 2000kms after a head gasket repair that cost $4500... I'm having a debate with the dealership saying it's the dealerships installation fault, the car only had 97,000kms. It snapper further up though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts