Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys.

Does anybody know if the S/C clutch disengages when changing gear. In other words when the gearbox clutch is depressed will the S/C clutch disengage?

Thanks in advance.

1998 SLK 230
3,077 Posts
The s/c clutch was mainly done to try to be fuel-efficient and maybe save a tiny bit of wear and tear, but for the complexity of the system and the very small benefit they couldn't justify keeping it, that's why they got rid of it for the facelift SLK.

the clutch engages from about ~800rpm in gear, and about 2,000rpm in no gear. it doesn't disengage at any other point from the stuff I've seen in WIS. The bypass valve controls how much boost is fed into the motor. the SLK32 is a bit different as its clutch engages differently (from memory under load at 2,000rpm) and it doesn't use a bypass valve to modulate it - it turns the clutch on/off.

· Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the clutch engages from about ~800rpm in gear, and about 2,000rpm in no gear. it doesn't disengage at any other point from the stuff I've seen in WIS. The bypass valve controls how much boost is fed into the motor.
Thanks Subby, that's ^^^ exactly what I wanted to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.