Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I cant get two of the exhaust valves to clear to the proper gap. I went to the stealership and they wanted 15$ EACH for two washers that fit on top of the valve stem :eek:

OK, I can understand the side on the cam follower to be hardened but surely I can GRIND off a little mm on the underside :confused:

Any tips ?

Thanks

Denis
France

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
this is the only thing stopping me from doing my own, i need the car mon-fri, i cant work on it saturday only to find one valve way out of spec and wait a week for mercedes to order it or longer if they are in europe. i even have the new gasket in my garage.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
this is the only thing stopping me from doing my own, i need the car mon-fri, i cant work on it saturday only to find one valve way out of spec and wait a week for mercedes to order it or longer if they are in europe. i even have the new gasket in my garage.
I know need may car everyday also. I was going to adjust my valves this weekend. I am still going to do it, but I am going to hold off scraping the valve cover gasket until last. I already had the valve cover off once and put it back with same gasket which just stayed on the head. So if I run into this problem guess I will set it closest to spec possible and order a new washer. Glad to hear they are available and only $15.00.

·
Registered
1980 280ce
135 Posts
Hi guys,

they wanted 15$ EACH for two washers that fit on top of the valve stem :eek:

surely I can GRIND off a little mm on the underside :confused:

Any tips ?

Thanks

Denis
France
Is your gap too small or too larger?

I'm confused too. The dealer suggested adding washers and you suggest grinding. I'd think that adding a washer would decrease the gap, but grinding would increase the gap.

Can you clairfy this?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Washers

Hi pidgy99

My problem is that the 17 mm adjuster is all the way into the head and cannot provide the clearance in the specs. The valve seat has recessed into its seat in the cylinder head, making the top of the valve stem higher up so that the "rocker" is now dipping further down on the adjuster side, hence - no clearance.

The "washer" is a spacer available in 4,5, 3.5 and 2.5 mm thicknesses but I'll be damned if I pay 15€ for one if I can fit a thicker one in a vice and grind it by one mm to get the clearance.

Unfortunately nobody seems to know about this or can tell me if a special tool can be made to depress the valve before removing the rocker and then the washer before either fitting a thinner one or grinding it down a bit...

Cheers

Denis

France

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished the job

Hi guys,

It's a bit late bit any thread is worth finishing.

I made a tool to compress the valves out of a well carved piece of OAK !

Just like in the old days...and it worked very well !

The people who designed this cylinder head ought to be shot dead ! Twice I dropped the washer thingy and it fell down in the valley outside of the valve spring wher you cant see it anymore. I had to use an angled magnetic retrieval tool to get that :mad: washer out !

The guys who designed the camshaft tray obviously did not talk much to those that did the cylinder heads and neither cared about the workshop technicians !

It was really easier to deal with an M116 engine.

A final interrogation on this engine : why did MB design this "sport" twincam cylinder head with a "grandma" set of camshafts ? little lift, very little duration and no real power. WIth a set of "BMW-like" camshafts, teh M110 would be at 205 DIN hp.

Cheers mate

Denis
Lion sur Mer
France

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 280 SE ( Euro 1981)
85 Posts
I also have a problem whit my M110 valve lash...

I set the valve lash a hundred of times more open, more close, factory specs, everything ( now it has the factory specs ) and every time the engine has warmed up a valve starts "ticking" ( or the rocker arm, I dont know ) and the idle turns to something horrible...

Can this be happening because a rocker arm is to used ? the engine has 160 K miles and has everything new ( It´s a rebiuld ) I´ve checked all the other stuff, such as ignition, fuel delivery, inyectors, everything...

Please help here !!! I´m just about to start the engine whit the valve cover off....

Regards.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem with the rear cylinder only. I was told by a rebuilder that the cam housing journals become egg shaped and it is almost impossible to get an exact adjustment if this is the case. There are no bushings/bearings, just cam against aluminum housing. I'll be adjusting mine again within the next week or so. We'll see how it goes.

·
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
17,867 Posts
I would think that there would be valve lash caps out there available somewhere. I've used them on BMW's which give you XXX amount of additional adjustment for worn cams.

PS, any hemi head is a pain in the butt to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts