Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 C107 280
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

On my slow and long journey to a sorted 107 I have been trying to deal with about 1ltr of oil loss per 500miles. First I thought it was valve stem seals, those have been replaced. That stopped the smoking but didn't really slow the oil loss.

But I think I may have found the culprit. Unfortunately I forgot to get any photos but these are ones from the web.

Anyway, after removing the valve cover I drilled out the rivets holding the highlighted piece.

Screenshot_20200223-122012~2.png

And turns out it was completely full of solid oil carbony build up. This mean any crankcase oil smoke went straight out to the intake and could not drain back into the head.

Have cleaned and put the whole thing back together and will report on future oil loss. Instead of rivets I now have screws so I can clean when needs be.

Symptoms of this were excess oil in the intake.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,335 Posts

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,318 Posts
Hi Guys,

On my slow and long journey to a sorted 107 I have been trying to deal with about 1ltr of oil loss per 500miles. First I thought it was valve stem seals, those have been replaced. That stopped the smoking but didn't really slow the oil loss.

But I think I may have found the culprit. Unfortunately I forgot to get any photos but these are ones from the web.

Anyway, after removing the valve cover I drilled out the rivets holding the highlighted piece.

View attachment 2621630

And turns out it was completely full of solid oil carbony build up. This mean any crankcase oil smoke went straight out to the intake and could not drain back into the head.

Have cleaned and put the whole thing back together and will report on future oil loss. Instead of rivets I now have screws so I can clean when needs be.

Symptoms of this were excess oil in the intake.
Mine was packed with some kind of stranded plastic, I guess to act as a filter, that was completely plugged.
Interesting concept to rivet a cover over something that obviously would require maintenance. Another Benz
engineering triumph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts