Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 GES - 1989
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 460 280GE manual with the 110 engine.

It has had a progressive oil leak since I got the car a few weeks back. Topped up with oil yesterday before a 50 mile round trip. Went out this morning and clean oil is literally pouring out of the engine. (the car had not been used for 14 hours)

Had it up on ramps and oil is running down the front and right side of the pan. I can see alot of old oil around the edge of the pan where it's bolted to the main engine block, also where the oil return pipe comes in to the top of the pan.

Assuming that the leak is coming from the seal between the pan and block, is there a gasket that can be replaced and will it be possible to drop the pan out with the engine in place. There are a few bolts that I cant imagine reaching above where the pan bells out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
Look behind the harmonic balancer as best you can and see if oil is coming from a failed front crank seal. They are notorious for failing and making a mess while the engine is running.

If the oil is pouring out with the vehicle not running for those last 14 hours then you should suspect the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
A leak where the pan meets the block would be really unusual, and not prone to be a "fast" leak, since there shouldn't be any pressure, or even a constant supply of oil there. Think about the front crank seal as stated, but such a fast leak seems like it almost needs to be pressurized. Check the oil cooler lines, and the line that drains the head back to the pan. I know it's in the wrong place, but also check the oil pressure light's sender switch on the top of the oil filter housing (peek down between intake runners to see it with wire screwed to top). Mine developed a leak there that would make a 6" puddle in 5 minutes of running. I have a generic part number for that sender if you end up needing it.

There's no gasket between the main pan and the block, and that one would be a real bear to do in the car. There is a gasket between the main pan and teh lower pan, but if that was the source of the leak it would be obvious as it would be pretty dry above that line.

If you do the front main seal, don't forget to do the ring on the crank as well. It will be worn out if the seal is leaking that badly.

I think there's also a side cover over there on the starter side of the block, though I'm not sure if there's oil or water behind that one. Never had it off.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts